Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Correct Minolta SRT flange register/ ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Correct Minolta SRT flange register/ flange-film distance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 195

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 03:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anybody know the right flange-film distance of Minolta SRTs?
While an early repair manual says it is 43.7mm various sources on the net name 43.5mm to be the correct measurement.
Could this difference perhaps be the answer to my alignment problem (see the other thread about reconstructing SRTs)?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 183

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whilst I have no experience of setting up Minolta SRT cameras, I have a large amount of data on Flange-film dimensions. The 43.7mm figure always seems to be referred back to some old (original?) documentation, the source of the 43.5mm dimension is not recorded in any of the data quoting that figure.

I might be wrong, but as you are having such problems using the 43.7mm distance, perhaps this figure is incorrect or is measured between different datum points. I would try setting the flange/film distance to 43.5mm and see if things get better.

I note that some people say that the 43.7mm is the correct distance. In the light of your present problems, I would be wary of their assertions unless they have actual experience setting up the SRT to this measurement. They may just be quoting an incorrect source.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 196

Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A slide film sent away to be exposed will show if my speculating about the right measuring point is right:
Don, thank you for your encouraging email, I did in fact measure the wrong distance!
Measuring point in the camera body is the pressure plate rails, of course. That is also the explanation for the blurred picture on the ground glass which rests on the film rails.
And Glenn, you are right, those who give other measurement figures than 43.7mm are also measuring the wrong distance or don't know better.
Thanks to everybody who have contributed to ease the disheartening plight with my SRT, it feels good to have such competent companions, W.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 184

Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad you seem to have got this sorted, or are at least progressing in the right direction. I suspect; in instances where we have differing dimensions being quoted by various sources, that this has arisen because the manufacture's dimension is that associated with the proper setting gigs and gauges. It seems logical that during the final assembly/focus adjustment, that the camera body would be located in any gig using the pressure plate rails as the datum. The old DIY fix of a piece of film in the gate and a micrometer depth gauge will obviously give a different value. You can still set up the camera using this 'wrong' dimension, but only if you know how it was measured in the first place. It is these small facts that tend to get 'lost' as people gather information to produce the various data sources.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 202

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have used the camera with different lenses and got correct readings and sharp slides, thank you for your help, W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration