Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Carl Zeiss Planar 50 1.4 (Contax) Dis... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Carl Zeiss Planar 50 1.4 (Contax) Disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kapuxino
Tinkerer
Username: Kapuxino

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I'm trying to disassembly a Zeiss Planar 50mm 1,4 (contax mount), but I'm not able to disassembly the front elements. I have tried to unscrew the front ring (where the "Carl Zeiss" and the text is), but it is just imposible.

Has anyone done this? I need some help! I have found NO information about this on the internet :S

-Pablo

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 35

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pablo,

That's very daring - is there any purpose for your disassembly?

The Contax Planar is a 6 element design unlike the modern Planar offering for Nikon which is a 7 element design.

The arrangement of the cells means that the front ring (with inscription) is actually cemented in with the front most element of the Planar lens. Therefore if you are trying to replace the front ring, you will most likely destroy the front element in this way. This is the most logical explanation I can think of to explain why you found it impossible.

Kind regards,

RJ

Kapuxino
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ! Thanks for replying. I need to clean the lens, there are some big dust particles that does affect IQ.

Are you sure? :S I have found that the front element rotates indefinitely, and that the ring that is between the front ring and the element rotates too, but it does not seem to unscrew.

I'll be careful :-)

Thanks!

-Pablo

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Pablo,

the front element may rotate even if is cemented: does it rotate independently of the front ring?

I have the front ring from my Planar 100mm extracted, and that required removal of the front element of the lens by the Zeiss technicians in Germany. There was no other way to do it due to the lens' construction.

On the other hand, 3rd party lenses such as Sigma who made C/Y zooms, did not have the same cemented construction: just by adding a UV filter to a Sigma lens, it is possible to unscrew the front element.

Kapuxino
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ,

These aren't good news...
Yes the front element rotates independently of the front ring.
How much could cost to send the lens for CLA?

Thanks RJ for your time and advice!

-Pablo

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Pablo,

which country are you in?

A CLA' for a Zeiss C/Y lens should realistically cost in the order of $50-150, by a skilled technician.

The Zeiss factory is significantly more costly, however cover more complex lens issues.

If you would like a Zeiss repair recommendation, pop me an email at my website contact address.

Kind regards,

RJ

www.luxcamera.co.uk

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration