Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing top from Minolta SRT 101 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Removing top from Minolta SRT 101 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Spotomatic
Tinkerer
Username: Spotomatic

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta srT101 with a non functioning light meter needle stuck at the viewing screen. I have found a possible fix in the archives, but it just blithely says "remove the top".....Ha!. I've taken all the screws out that I can find, but the lever wind is still holding it down on one side, whilst at the other side nothing budges. Are there any hidden screws? I found another archive with instructions for undoing the lever wind with a piece of rubber and a section of broomstick (honestly!) but still nothing budges.
So could anyone tell me a STEP by STEP idiot's guide to every stage. I have downloaded an exploded view. which is of little help, so please speak slowly if you reply.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 88

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To remove the top cover,first remove 3 perimeter screws, there is one hidden behind the red dot on the front by the lense mount, I use acetone and then unscrew it. Next set asa to 100 and 100 shutter speed. remove the screw on the top dial being careful the is a spring underneath. You will have to remove the collar around the release button I have used a rubber jar top gripper , remove it counter clockwise. keep all the parts in order when you do this . Then pop open the back and put something in dthe film rewind fork so as not to let it tdurn. Then just turn the rewind know counterclockwise to remove. Under neath this on top is a split nut that has to be removed once the shaft is slid out. it too is ccw to remove. Now the top will lift up and off. remember to leave the back open. If the back gets snapped shut while woriking on the camera you can access the release from the bottom with the bottom cover off...Go slow there are many strings..Doin

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 89

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ;forgot to tell you , you can make a gripper out of a piece of wood, just drill a hole the size of the collar then cut it length wise so you end up with two pieces that you can use as a non scratch pliers. It will come off with a pliers but you will gouge the chrome. You might try the rubber gripper with a pliers if you go slow. Don

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 29

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Um, might you mean 125 shutter speed? I don't see a 100 on my SRT.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 399

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I set the shutter speed to "B" and the ASA to 6400 to reduce the spring tension on the meter cord.

Email me at rick_oleson@yahoo.com and i'll send you some SRT for Dummies sketches...

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 90

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick is right you should reduce string tension. also there are some great web links here on this site. Also save your self a headache and time if you have a sticky f stop follower. don't let loose of the string going into the camera from the ring. I did this the first time and at least I learned something...Don

Spotomatic
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys. I will try all this over the weekend and report back.

Spotomatic
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At last I have found the time and the daylight to finish this job.........and SUCCESS!! the light meter now works! I removed the prism and could just see the needle of the light meter on the edge of the screen. I gently moved it with a dissection needle, replaced the prism and then switched on the power. To my delight the needle swung into action. My special thanks to Rick for guiding me through the process. It's given me the confidence to tackle a back log of cameras with minor faults.

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 51

Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The meter on the SRT101 has small pieces of foam at each end of the needle travel. Like the rest of the foam in these cameras, it becomes sticky with age. Your meter may fail/stick again. You will likely have to do the repair again.

Search the archives, I'm pretty sure I posted a photo of this.

Cheers, Kevin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration