Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Getting inside an Exakta Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Getting inside an Exakta « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 82

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So a bout of temporary insanity has resulted in my acquiring an almost-operational Kine Exakta (actually in this case an Exacta, the US version) of the approximately mid-40's variety, whose shutter works most of the time, but is clearly in need of just a little bit of something in the way of clean and lube. I had hoped it would limber up with use, but instead it seems to have gotten worse, and even a little squeaky. Obviously since it was in the sub-$20 bargain bin at my local repair shop as not worth repairing for resale, I'm not about to take it back there. I'd settle for approximately working, enough to run a roll of cheap film through it and get at least a few good shots. Long story short: anybody have a source for basic instructions on basic opening up of this model, and any precautions about unsuspected "sproing factor" areas?

This thing also has a bad mirror, and I thought perhaps I'd try recutting the mirror from a dead SLR, but before I do that, does anybody know whether or not the mirror on the Exakta is held on by more than the little tabs at the bottom? I'd hate to start prying and find that it's irretrievably glued down.

I know old Exaktas aren't very hot items these days, but I'd love to get this one going, in part because at some other time I stumbled on an Exakta T-mount, which means I have a few interesting lenses that I could stick on it.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 91

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Exakta or exacta as some are spelled mirror can be removed by slightly lifting the two side tabs and pulling down on the glass, The lensmount has to be removed first, once off there is a slot in the body that you can slide the mirror through. I have used a dab of glue on the replacement mirror and bent the tabs back down. You can find mirror material from edmund scientific or use an old polaroid intermal mirror ..Don

Spdtwn
Tinkerer
Username: Spdtwn

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After you have removed the lens mount it sounds like you might want to go further! The whole mechanism and mirror box come out in 'ensemble'and may benefit from a bit of a wash-out. Couple of screws under casting inside film chambers-1xcsk;1chshd;couple on front body; and( I think) 2x on each side top plates. The whole innards will slide up and you can operate all functions and watch the magic happening!

M_currie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 85

Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks. I'm trying to screw up my courage for this. Even though the camera is virtually worthless, it's hard for me to take that first dangerous step. But it sounds feasible, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't need much to get working again. I'll post back if/when I get results.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 408

Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have some notes for exakta disassembly, if they might help...

[email protected]

Commando303
Tinkerer
Username: Commando303

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might check out Miles Upton's, www.exaktaphile.com. There, you can find some pages from his "Ultimate Exakta Repair" book; they're early pages, but the pictures are quite great, and you ought to get a feel for how to dismantle the thing. Good luck.

M_currie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 86

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks, Rick. O. The files came through fine, and should help a good deal. Now all I have to do is sit down and dig in.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 100

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just by coincidence I saw the exakta phile website and was surprised and saddened to hear of Jim Hayes passing. He worked with my dad in the City of Detroit garage. Jim had a huge exakta collection and he would tell of how he snuck new acquisitons and hid them under the bed and everywhere. He will be surely missed..Don

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 57

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although I never had the privilege of meeting Jim Hayes personally, I can say that he was known to all Exaktophiles as one of their own. I am surprised and shocked to hear of his passing. He was our American ambassador at all of the worldwide meetings of Exakta collectors. I still have Exaktas under my bed for the same reason as Jim!

He will be missed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration