Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F3 - aperture coupling ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Nikon F3 - aperture coupling ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dallas
Tinkerer
Username: Dallas

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently obtained a Nikon F3 and unfortunately a problem with it is that the aperture coupling ring is very sticky.

I loosened the lens mount slightly and it improved the situation a little. Complete removal of the lens mount and the aperture ring itself reveals that it is connected to the body by means of a tensioning cable.

This cable disappears into a portion of the body that I can't see. I had a look at the horrendous service manual I found online and on page 100 it shows that the cable should wrap around two pulleys, one right at the point where it enters the body from the mount.

To my eye it looks as if the cable has come off that pulley, which is why the ring doesn't move back into position when adjusting the aperture.

My question to you experts is how I would go about repairing this? Obviously I don't want to incur huge expense or damage the camera any further, but this might be a good opportunity to get stuck into some repair work.

Can this be easily fixed or is it too difficult for somebody totally new to repair work?

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 49

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is not that difficult but it involves removing the left side top cover. The spring tension for the cable is driven by the ASA resistor assembly (FRE). I can give you greater details if you would want to attempt it. There is some minor soldering involved.

Regards, Kevin

Dallas
Tinkerer
Username: Dallas

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 01:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be awesome if you could share, Kevin.

Many thanks!

Jrcarden
Tinkerer
Username: Jrcarden

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd love to know the details as well.

Thanks,
Jim C.

Konicakrazy
Tinkerer
Username: Konicakrazy

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am anxious to find details/drawing/advice on removing top cover on Konica T-3, and any info on light seal replacement. have ordered seal material, and this is my favorite camera so I want to do it right. Can probably do mirror bumper without problem, am concerned about mirror box.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration