Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lubricating Lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Lubricating Lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Commando303
Tinkerer
Username: Commando303

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I got my Pancolar's "haze" clean, and now I need to lubricate its focsuing helical. I plan to get rid of the old gunk by wiping and using isopropyl alcohol (91%). Do you think this is a good idea?

Then, I plan on using some silicone grease to re-lube the thing? Or maybe a light amount of petroleum jelly (Vaseline). How about this: good?

Thanks.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 105

Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not an expert but I use Ronsonol lighter fluid (sparingly) to clean off petroleum based grease.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 404

Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Silicone grease is probably good. I use white lithium grease. I agree with Charlie re. using lighter fluid for cleaning, but if alcohol does the job that will be fine.

Commando303
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, now, here's the big-ass problem encountered in taking apart a Pancolar: putting the beast back together. Does anyone have any tips for how to align the focusing helical correctly? It seems, no matter how I try, the closest I get ends up being inadequate for focusing at infinity. Anyone? Thanks so much.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 405

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 03:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the back half screwed in all the way? Double helicals are fussy, there's the front half (a very coarse multi-start thread) and the back half (often a fine single-start thread, don't know about the Pancolar). The front half can be on the wrong start, and the back half might be off by a turn or two without being noticeable until you try to focus it.

Commando303
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure what you mean by "back half" and "front half." Right now, the lens is in two major pieces: one is the "ring" with leatherette focusing strip and distance markings; the other is the piece with all the glass elements in it. When I bring them together to screw the second (lens-elements) piece into the first, there are multiple ways the two can go together. Unfortunately, every way I've been able to reach has led me to a situation wherein the lens cannot focus to infinity. I was wondering if anyone who's done this has any advice as to how to accomplish the feat.

*The helical is slightly different with later-model Pancolars (still 2/50, not 1.8/50): it's a rather simpler procedure with them.

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 80

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The back (outer) part of the helical (ie. the bit you turn) is screwed into the focus mount with a fine single-start thread. You may not have taken this apart, but if you have, reassemble it by screwing it in as far as it will go then unscrew back LESS than a full turn until you can refit the infinity-stop screw (inside the outer helical on the Pancolar) with the focus index mark just below infinity on the scale.

When you remove the inner helical from the outer, you should always try to make a careful note of where they separate from each other, to avoid the problems on reassembly that you are having now! Personally, I usually find the separation of the helical catches me by surprise, so I always use a micrometer to measure the distance from a suitable surface at the rear of the focus mount to a suitable surface at the front of the inner helical, with the lens set at infinity, before I start taking the helical apart. This means I can check on reassembly that I have it set up correctly without having to assemble it to the optics!

In your position, I think all you can do (after making sure you have the focus-mount thread correctly assembled) is to try to work your way round each "start" on the helical until you find the correct one. Unfortunately I seem to remember there are a lot of starts on the Pancolar helical (about 16?).

Commando303
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Steve_s. Actually, this time, I did note where to make the reattachment. The problem is, the helical seems unwilling to reattach at that exact point: I can go a little beyond, to the next one, at which point I can't screw in far enough; or I can screw into the position right before where I have to, which implies I have to turn back too much to be able to focus on infinity. Tis a maddening ordeal, really...

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 81

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should be able to engage the helical at any of the "starts". Make sure there isn't any damage on the threads. If you are sure which position the helical should be engaged but it doesn't want to go there, you just need to find out why. It is often quite difficult to get the helicals square with each other when you're trying to engage them. Avoid any force - they should engage quite easily.

I had thought of a way of getting close to the correct helical position without as much trial and error as I suggested in my previous post, but that doesn't seem to be the problem here.

I assume you haven't separated the diaphragm barrel from the inner helical, so you can't have mislaid the focus spacer between the two!

Commando303
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve_s, the helicals seem fine, just newly lubricated; no damage. Indeed, I didn't separate the outer barrel from the inner; I did that once before when I thought Zeiss might've done something wrong -- at this point, that particular lens is probably lying in a dump somewhere. As for this one, I'm starting to lose hope. If I can't get it in the next day or so, I might just try to get rid of the creature on eBay. Thanks for your help. I guess all I can do now, is hope... :-/.

Billmartins
Tinkerer
Username: Billmartins

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Yahoo's Camera-fix Group under Files there is a whole set of photographed, step-by-step instructions for lubricating this particular lens.

Files > Special Lubricant for Helical Threads in Camera Lenses > Relube instructions
Name

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/camera-fix/files/Special%20Lubricant%20for%20 Helical%20Threads%20in%20Camera%20Lenses/Relube%20instructions/

You will have to join the group to access the files

Billmartins
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, looks like you can go to the aforementioned
link direct. Hope this is of some help

Billmartins
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Again my apologies. A membership to the group is
required for access to the files. I must have still
been logged on to the group when I tested the above link. But,IMHO the files would be worth the effort.

Commando303
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've tried to gain membership, but it seems to still be "pending approval"... damn it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration