Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Restoring vulcanite covering Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Restoring vulcanite covering « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Likaleica1
Tinkerer
Username: Likaleica1

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 1939 Fed - Leica copy - with its black Vulcanite covering faded to brownish grey. Has anyone successfully brought Vulcanite back to black ? What would I clean the covering with before refinishing?

See my special interest website: www.likaleica.com

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 55

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,

I've never seen a Vulcanite camera that needed replacing ;)

www.cameraleather.com offer a Vulcanite covering which would match your FED.

Or are you considering restoring the colour of your vulcanite only?

I'm not sure how any colour would stay on the vulcanite, unless it was dyed - even still, would the colour still hold?

If you remove the vulcanite, then any standard acrylocyanate remover should suffice to par down the former glued vulcanite.

Kind regards,

RJ

Likaleica1
Tinkerer
Username: Likaleica1

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 04:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks RJ. I am rather hoping to retain the original covering because it is not worn or damaged - just faded. I assume vulcanite is a rubber derivative - so I wonder if a there is any solvent which would remove the outer faded colouring, or failing that, a paint intended for rubber that would do the job. Does anyone else have any ideas ?

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 99

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As written most vulcanite doese't fade just dry and chip. The fed might not be regular vulcanite. I would first clean it then try to determine how deep the fading is. You might try a test with acetone on a q-tip on the edge in a somewhat hidden location if there are any. If it works go further then reclean to remove any leftover discoloration. Good luck..Don

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 196

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could do what our East European friends do, just spray with a satin finish black acrylic paint. Do not use acetone or any other solvents on early Russian vulcanite, especially one that is not worn or chipped.

I have a number of early FED cameras that exhibit 'grey' or 'green' colourations. On these the vulcanite has certainly not faded, colour is the complete depth. I suspect that the colour is due to errors in the early manufacturing process. I certainly have not messed about with a feature that is part of the 'history' of the particular camera. You should be glad that you have a covering that is complete and sound - no matter what the colour is.

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 60

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again,

Thinking about the sulphur content of the vulcanised rubber, I think Glenn's suggestion to keep the acetone away from the vulcanised rubber is emminently sensible.

It seems that vulcanite is inherently unstable, and is probably not the kind of material which ages beautifully. You might find this thread useful:

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/032b.shtml

It contains thoughts and suggestions to dealing with the ageing vulcanite problem. Unsurprisingly, it comes up with few solutions, other than replacement (already suggested).

Acrylic paint on the rubber is almost as frightful as what has happened to a Graflex Century which I am starting to rework (the leather has shrunk). Rubber naturally cannot hold paint very well. You may have to prepare the surface by priming, before painting. Afterwards, the regret that it was probably better left in in its original condition may seep in ;)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration