Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

On shutter repair -- prontor svs Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » On shutter repair -- prontor svs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frankey8008
Tinkerer
Username: Frankey8008

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought an Agfa Silette last weekend on a flea market but i was in hurry and didn't check the shutter and it ended up with a unproperly working shutter at low speed. I searched on internet and found some information. But since I am a laymen on repairing I really want some information in detail. I am afraid of touching any screw on the clock-like mechanics... ...

Spdtwn
Tinkerer
Username: Spdtwn

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can't get into much trouble if you just take your time. Access to the mechanism is from the front,after removing the focus scale and lens,you will get to a fine 'scalloped' ring located with a screw with a flat side. The ring unscrews to allow you to remove the plate on top of the mechanism. Note where the speed escapment pins slot into the speed setting ring. You will probably find the escapement star wheel is 'dry'. The complete esc. is held in by two screws and can be taken out and washed in a white spirit whith a couple of drops of fine oil added.Ensure it is clean& dry, and don't get any lub. on shutter blades. Remember to refocus the lens on re assembly. Good feelings come when you hear the sweet sound of 1sec! Hope this helps.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 97

Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I've a Retinette with a Prontor SVS with slow shutter speeds (I'm at work. It's at home in a box under the bed, hence my uncertainty as to the shutter!). Can I take it that the above is a common problem with Prontor shutters? If so, I'll have a go at it myself - Retinas they ain't, but the Retinette isn't a bad camera, and I know someone who still uses theirs they bought new!

Adrian

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 411

Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's common in all leaf shutters; Prontors are a little more prone to it than Compurs, I think because they have a less powerful mainspring to plow through the dirt.

I have some general notes here

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-55.html
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-158.html

There are other good helpful sites, some specific to Retinas, that you should look at ... unfortunately I don't have the URLs for those handy at the moment.....

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 98

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick, I'll save those pages for future usage!

Turns out it was a Compur-Rapid rather than a Prontor, and a good cleanout produced alarming quantities of crud from it. Now all speeds work, and look OK when compared against my SLR.

Now where did I leave my Silette?

Adrian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration