Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

No 2 Folding Pocket Brownie Model B -... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » No 2 Folding Pocket Brownie Model B -- Shutter help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Polaski
Tinkerer
Username: Polaski

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a No 2 Folding Pocket Brownie Model B, last patent 1909. It looks like everything is good, except:

The shutter sometimes sticks open at the "I" setting. Bulb and Time work as they should. When I trip the shutter release on "I" (Instant), sometimes the shutter opens and closes with a normal-sounding action, but sometimes it stays open.

I've exercised the shutter carefully and a lot. It seems a bit better, but it still sticks open as many times as it opens and closes.

Anyone have experience with this, before I open it up? (Yes, it's 98 years old, but isn't that the point?)

http://www.eastman.org/fm/brownie/htmlsrc/mE13000327_ful.html#topoftext

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 91

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm afraid mine works perfectly, so I can't comment other than to suggest it's probably time to get the lighter fluid out and give the shutter a good clean.

They are well worth the effort, though, when working well. Other than the joy of using something that old for what it was intended, the photos aren't bad either!

Scroll down for the pics:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75307&st=0

You might also want to check that the viewfinder mirror is OK - mine is losing its silvering, and will have to be replaced when I get a mo. Not difficult, just a nuisance.

Adrian

Polaski
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, just what I was hoping. When I get started, I'm a cleaning fool. Just don't want to mess up or break any parts (like irreplaceable springs).

How do you resilver a mirror, because the viewfinder is more than a bit dim.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 96

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are people better qualified than me to advise on cleaning the shutter. For what it's worth, I'd take the front plate off, tip the camera forwards slightly so that any excess fluid runs OUT of the shutter, not into the camera, and just squeeze a drop or two of lighter fluid - Ronsonol or the like - at a time into it, and catch what runs out of the bottom. You don't need to worry about removing grease from the focusing helicoid because there isn't one, just muck from the shutter. However you might want to try a thread entitled "cleaning a shutter" or the like just to get advice from people more qualified than me!

Re-silvering mirrors is nasty - mercury is involved. Far better to buy a cheap powder compact or the like with a mirror in, and cut one from that. There is a thread running at the moment elsewhere - Restoration, probably - about how to do just that.

Hope that helps!

Adrian

Polaski
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you. I'll let you know how it turned out with the shutter. I'll include the other viewfinder surfaces in the cleaning, and see if the mirror will be sufficient as it is.

I don't mind squinting a bit.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration