Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bellows pin hole light leak repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Bellows pin hole light leak repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frankl
Tinkerer
Username: Frankl

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good morning all...
At the risk or repeating a previous suggestion, I will go ahead anyway :-).... I recently got an old agfa "Billy" 4,5. It was a little rough but, I have managed to get everything working well, except for a few "leaks" in the bellows, at the folded corners. I have been reading alot pertaining to replacing bellows, repairs etc. and, just noticed a can of "Brush-On Electrical Tape" here in my shop. I am a Ham Radio Op. also and, use it to "weatherize" outside antenna connectors..... I figured "why not?". I used a toothpick, dipped in the solution and "filled" the voids with liquid tape... I have absolutely no idea yet, how well or how long it will work but, it sure looks good! Anyway, I got all excited and just wanted to share that with others that may be wanting to correct similar problem or, if it's already been done, find out if it will be a good "fix" or not. The product is called "Brush-On Electrical Tape" by Blue Magic, Inc., Conroe, TX 77303, USA. Their web site is www.cargobluemagic.com and, the phone is 1-800-554-3014. I got this in an auto parts store.
Best regards to all.
Frank

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 197

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This type of product does give a good repair. The one proviso being - on old well used/worn bellows, the product tends to be stronger than the bellows material. After a lot of use, you can sometimes find new tress tears around the repair.

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 58

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Frank,

is that two Agfa folders in one week? ;)

it's amazing what liquid electrical tape can do. As Glenn suggests, it is a short-term solution until the eventual bellows replacement.

I've found that painting from the inside of extended bellows leads to a neater finish, although the finger gymnastics required in smaller vintage bellows folders can be a challenge.

All the best.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 107

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My method for pin hole leaks is to push a pin down through the hole, open the back of the camera and coat the pin point with black silicone rubber (RTV). Then pull the pin back out of the hole and put a little smear of RTV at the exit point. Let the camera sit open (back open too) for a few days while the RTV cures.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used 3D fabric paint (black, of course) from Sprawl-Mart's hobby section with great success for pinhole repairs on shutter curtains. I wonder how it would work on thicker bellows material? The stuff is very flexible...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration