Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to deal with a focusing stuck lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » How to deal with a focusing stuck lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Uniqua97
Tinkerer
Username: Uniqua97

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 05:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have couple of lenses whose focusing rings are stuck. I can not make the focusing ring move at all?

How should I approach the problem?

Regards

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 106

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Need to know what model cameras. No general solutions.

Uniqua97
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My current problem is with Mamiya Sekor N 80mm 2.8 lens, any ideas?

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 36

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kazim,

How about being a little more forthcoming with information.... What camera does this lens fit? Mamiya TLR? Mamiya SLR? Any obvious problems with the lens that might indicate damage and help everybody with diagnosis?

Your doctor will not be able to help you either if you tell him "my finger hurts".... His reply will be " which one" and "what did you do to make it hurt".....

Best,

Jan

Uniqua97
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry guys,

I thought I put the info for the mount, it is a 645 lens.

The lens was working but it was a little bit stiff close to infinity focus, and last time I tried it I left it at infinity. Now focus ring does not move at all.

Regards,

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 198

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming the lens has not been dropped/abused, I suggest that it needs the helical re-greasing. Can you grip the inner barrel, when the lens is focused at infinity? Sometimes when a helical jams; if you wiggle the inner barrel whilst you try and turn the focus ring, the lens will free up. However this does not mean that if successful, you do not need to re-lube the lens.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration