Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Flektogon 35 f/2.4 : diaphragm issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Flektogon 35 f/2.4 : diaphragm issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gizzzmo
Tinkerer
Username: Gizzzmo

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, i've just bought a Flektogon 35 f2.4 but the diaphragm doesn't shut. On the attached file you could see the mechanism which command the diaphragm (circled in red). It should automaticcaly move according to the red arrow (using a coil) in order to shut the diaphragm but this mechanism is not flowing. Moreover, i see marks on the diaphragm (see attachment). What are these marks ? Do you have any solutions ?
Thanks.
Flektogon_mechanism

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 413

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see the picture showing the marks on the diaphragm ... generally, if the blades stick it's because they have oil on them. This is usually visible, but in some cases it's in the actuating ring or somewhere that you don't see it through the lens. In either case, my first guess would be to clean the diaphragm.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 43

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had exactly this problem with similar CZJ lenses, and as Rick remarks, the problem was due to oil migration causing 'stiction' of the diaphragm blades, and not, as I'd first thought, a weakened spring. I had to clean the blades thoroughly, which is not particularly difficult. The indication to me that this was the problem was when I put a couple of drops of lighter fuel on the blades. Seconds later, they snapped into position, then as the naptha evaporated, the 'stiction' re-appeared. Lots of grease, mixed with what looked like very fine metal dust, had been migrating from the focusing threads, so at the same time as I cleaned the diaphragm, I took the opportunity to thoroughly clean the helicoids and re-lube them lightly with silicone grease. Took about two hours, though I was proceeding slowly as I'm a tinkerer, not a technician.

Gizzzmo
Tinkerer
Username: Gizzzmo

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have cleaned the blades with "F" fuel (few drops and coton), it's better but not perfect. Aperture closes from 2.4 to 5.6 but not more. Can I drop the whole the aperture mechanism (just diaphragm) into "F" fuel (i've seen this in a tutorial) ?
Thanks.

Aka
Tinkerer
Username: Aka

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 06:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I've tried a number of cleaners and the best that worked for me was water with detergent. Just rinse inside a container the whole mechanism, activate the springs until it works free and works free as well when dry. Repeat if dry still sticks. No lubrication.

Spyderman
Tinkerer
Username: Spyderman

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had similar problem and I washed the whole aperture mechanism (after removing glass) in naphta. It worked fine ever since.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration