Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic 7S Shutter Release P... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Minolta Hi-Matic 7S Shutter Release Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta Hi-Matic 7s, with a stubborn problem. The shutter release will sometimes trip the shutter only at the extreme end of the downward push, sometimes it will not release at all. Only repeated tries at pushing down on the release will trip the shutter. This happens in both manual, as well as auto modes, with or without batteries so, I don’t think it is linked to auto operation, rather to a mechanical linkage problem.

I have the top plate off (yes, I am aware of the little pin on the underside of the release button), bottom plate off and the front leatherette peeled off. I did not take the front plate / lens assembly off, hoping that there is some adjustment which is easily accessible. The shutter release shaft is visible when I remove a small cover from the front plate - this reveals some screws which might serve as adjustment points - is this the case and if so, what is to be adjusted?

Many thanks,

Jan

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 59

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan,

I'm not sure since I've only ever worked with the Konica analogues of the Minolta 7.

Wondering if triggering the shutter using a deep cable release or the self-timer also resulted in the same random jamming pattern before you opened up the camera.

Good luck with fixing it.

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 37

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ,

Thanks for the reply. As a matter of fact, the Konica S2 and the 7s are quite different. No difference in the random jamming with selftimer or cable release - I checked that before.

I did find however, that the whole lens assembly has a bit of a side to side wobble. At one end of the wobble the shutter will fire, at the other end it will not. I will probably have to into the lens assembly to find out what is loose and tighten it.

Any ideas how far I will have to go?

Best,

Jan

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 108

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it work more consistently with a cable release?

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 38

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Charlie,

No, there is no difference when the cable release is used. I do notice though, the when I trip the shutter (with or w/out cable release), the lens assembly rotates slightly before the shutter trips.

If I hold the lens assembly in place to prevent this small rotational movement, the shutter will fire consistently. Looking at the camera from the front, if I twist the lens assembly clockwise, the shutter will fire, if I twist it anticlockwise, it will not.

I guess I might have to tighten the whole lens assembly somehow. I have been inside the 7s before and do remember that they are not particularly easy to work on.

Thanks for any help,

Jan

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 24

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan
I would be very interested to know how you get on fixing you camera because the lens on my H-M 7s is also wobbly and although the shutter fires every time the release button has to be pushed down almost to its limit. There may come a day when it stops firing with the same problem that you have. There was another thread posted here.

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/10424.html?1191614233

Regards - Alf

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alf,

Thanks for the link. I have actually seen it already and got quite a laugh out of Werner's link to the Japanese page. Using Google's translator can be quite comical sometimes......

Best,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration