Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME light metering behaving str... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Pentax ME light metering behaving strangely « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carissa
Tinkerer
Username: Carissa

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got an ME yesterday that is really nice condition. It dry fires with no batteries just fine, no stickage or anything. When I put batteries in it, the light meter just shows a constant (no flickering) light by the UNDER label. If I move the camera around a little sometimes it will jump up the scale a little but very briefly, and it will always return to UNDER. Then, if I fire the shutter regardless, it just stays open until I move the dial from AUTO to B or 100x or something (then it hops back down). So I know it's not a sticking issue, it has to be the meter, right?

The manual for the ME calls for size 76 batteries. My local photo store was out of those but the guy swore up and down that the Varta V357's were the same thing. So that's what I'm using now. Could that be the issue? Like I mentioned, the light in the meter is constant so I don't think I'm underpowered.

Any help very appreciated! :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 49

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could be as simple as corrosion or bad contact in the battery compartment. Make sure that you have two 1.5v batteries installed with correct polarity and use an ink eraser to scrub off the contact and the bottom of the battery cap. Half the time, this simple step revives a "dead" meter.

Another possibility is a bad connection from the aperture resistor to the flex circuit. This means disassembly for repair. If the flex circuit itself is bad, forget about it and buy a replacement body on eBay for $30-50. The ME is out of fashion and good samples may be had for a pittance at auction.

A working ME is a fine camera, with a sensitive meter, big viewfinder, and compact dimensions. Good luck with repair or replacement!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration