Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar 283 flash internals the same ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Vivitar 283 flash internals the same as 285? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jrcarden
Tinkerer
Username: Jrcarden

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Vivitar 285 with burned up capacitors on the main board. I also have a perfectly functioning 283. Can I swap the main boards between the two flashes so I can have a functioning 285?

Thanks,
Jim C.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 102

Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe they are the same. The 285 also had a hv connection for a fast recycle. Compare the component layout on both units before starting a swap. If all the polarities and parts are same it's worth a try. Is there any one out there who has done this? I have a 283 unit without the shoe you can have for $5 plus shipping. Let me know how the two units campare? Don

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 81

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out this site for some interesting experiments using a 283 and how to hack the flash as well. http://hiviz.com/activities/guidebook/eg_sectionI.html

Jrcarden
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help. I will make some time this weekend to compare the guts of the 283 with those of the 285 and I will report my findings here. I hope it will be as simple as swapping circuit boards.

Don - If the comparison is favorable and the transplant successful then I will take you up on your offer of a working 283 as I should end up with a spare foot to replace the broken one on yours.

Paul - Thanks for the link. Eventually I will try to mount a potentiometer to the sensor port so I can dial in the flash duration--ultimate control. I think my biggest challenge will be to make it look halfway decent and not like some reject from the Frankenflash factory.

As I proceed I will take every precaution not to allow the magic smoke to escape the electronics.

--Jim C.

Jrcarden
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally dug in and found that the circuit boards are quite different between the 283 and the 285. It was not going to be a straight across move so I called off the transplant.

Thanks for your help.

Jim C.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 111

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim: I still have the 285 with removable sensor and extension cord. If I can put my hands on it you just pay postage. Don

Jrcarden
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don - I'd be happy to get the broken 285 (etc) for the cost of postage. Tell me how and where I can send you the money, Paypal? USPS Money Order?

Thanks,
--Jim C.
jrcarden at comcast dot net

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration