Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing front of a Canon FD(n) 100-2... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Removing front of a Canon FD(n) 100-200 zoom lens. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wsboyd
Tinkerer
Username: Wsboyd

Post Number: 51

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 'new' from eBay lens, a mint 5.6 Canon FD (new type) 100-200 zoom has a Foreign Object stuck on the inside of what seems to be the front lens (the glass that dos not move when you push-pull the zoom).

The FO appears to be a shiny, dark flake about 3~4mm's in length. It casts a shadow.

I have bought a rubber lens tool of the correct size, but I now hear that the 'new' FD lenses don't unscrew like others do.

Any step-by-step instructions would be appreciated as I've never done this before.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 201

Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I presume you are referring to the front 'name' ring. This is held by 3 or 4 spots of adhesive on many FDn lenses and you have to lever it out. I use a thin, curved piece of metal made from an old craft blade. A thick pad of lens cleaning cloth is placed on the lens, the tool is then inserted between lens and ring and used to pry the ring free. Do not use a sideways movement, this will damage the inner edge of the ring. Just push the lever down onto the lens - the ring easily comes free. Re-attach the ring with a couple of dabs of contact adhesive.

I do not have my Canon service manuals to hand, but normally you will find front element securing ring or fastenings under the name ring.

Wsboyd
Tinkerer
Username: Wsboyd

Post Number: 52

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks !
I never would have thought to insert the lever next to the lens. I would have tried between the barrel & 'beauty / name' ring.

I assume the front element then unscrews in an simple & obvious way ?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 204

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It should be obvious, but I have not worked on this lens. If it does not look obvious, email me and I will dig out the repair manual - still boxed up after a house move.

Aaron
Tinkerer
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 02:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The front name ring is screwed in, and it also holds the front element.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration