Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Loose lens shade - how to tighten? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Loose lens shade - how to tighten? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scottxd11
Tinkerer
Username: Scottxd11

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a telephoto lens with a lens hood that slides too easily.
Does anyone have a technique to dampen the movement?

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 208

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

glue? dowels? nails? tacks?

Would you take your car to a garage for repair without telling the mechanic what's wrong with it?

Give us some more details, what lens? what sort of hood? metal? plastic? a zoom lens perhaps?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 203

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume you are looking for a quick fix on a lens with integeral hood? The correct way is to stripdown the front of the lens, remove the hood and replace the felt rubbing strip. The felt on your lens has worn to such an extent that the hood is no longer a friction fit on the barrel.

For both the quick and proper fix your require a piece of thin, self adhesive felt. Jon Goodman - trading as 'interslice' on eBay - sells two thicknesses of felt which are ideal for this job.

The felt is correctly fitted in an internal circumferential groove in the hood. For the quick fix, you need to insert a couple of strips of felt - 1/4" by 1" approx, into the gap between hood and barrel. Ideally they should be diametrically opposite each other, but the thinness of the gap rarely lets this happen. The hood should be in the retracted position and the adhesive side of the felt is applied to the barrel. Before inserting the felt, lick the exposed adhesive well. This will stop the adhesive grabbing, until the strip is correctly positioned.

On some lenses the hood stop-ring is just a screw fit, on the front of the barrel. Thus the hood is easily removed for felt replacement. On others the stop is an integral part of the front barrel, thus the whole barrel has to be removed to get at the hood - hence the 'quick fix'.

Scottxd11
Tinkerer
Username: Scottxd11

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The lens is fixed.
Glenn, your comments were right on. Though I had the fix complete within an hour of posting...
I've dealt with interslice, and had the adhesive backed felt on hand.

Yes, this is an integral hood on the lens, and luckly I was able to separate the lens barrel without having to disturb any elements. Really an easy repair.

BTW, the lens is a Makinon 300mm f4.0 (MC) for a manual focus Minolta. I recently got it for $10.00 on eBay.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration