Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mirandas, anyone? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Mirandas, anyone? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 33

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received a Sensomat RE, which I had an example of when I was younger. It was a brief affair, I bought it used in 1980/81 because it was cheap (important at the time) and I liked how solid it was and how it handled. The camera was taken from my car a few months after I bought it, but as I was going to college I just moved on and forgot about it. Now that I have another one (it works just fine and handles as nicely as I remember), I'd like to know if anyone out there who has a Miranda can give me some advice on original lenses - which ones are particularly good, etc. Or should I just get an adapter so I can use my screw-mount lenses? Too bad they didn't make an adapter to use Minolta lenses or I'd be in clover.

Canuck_curt
Tinkerer
Username: Canuck_curt

Post Number: 14

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 03:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While I'm not sure about the adapter to use M42 screw mount lenses or an adapter to use Minolta, I do know I have an adapter to use T mount lenses on mine and they work nicely. I have 2 Sensorex, a Sensorex EE and a Sensomat. Some (if not all, I haven't had them out lately)have both the Miranda bayonet mount flange and if you look closely inside it you'll see a threaded mount too. This is M44 mount and works great with your T mount adapter. For lenses I prefer the 50 f1.4, 28 f2.8, and 35 f3.5 . The 50 f1.8 is nice too but I like the extra bonus of the f1.4.

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 41

Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark,

Tonnes of information and interesting links can be found here:

http://www.mirandacamera.com/

Best,

Jan

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 02:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan,
Thanks, but I know the site and that is where I found which camera it was that I owned before. I notice the last update was over 3 years ago, so it's moribund at present. I wish someone more enthusiastic would take it over and add some content.

Curt,
Thanks for the lens recommendations. It's not easy to find an Auto Miranda (non-E) 50/1.4, and most sellers don't list whether their lens is E, EC, or plain Auto. I don't know if it matters as far as operation. If the later E and EC lenses can be used on all models, I can just get whatever is available. I have a 35/2.8 Auto Miranda which came with the camera. I'd like the 28 and 50 you mention, and maybe a 135 as well. Probably best to go all-Miranda instead of worrying about converters, though it does get frustrating looking for the lenses when there's so many screwmount lenses out there. I've read about reliability problems with Sensorex/Sensomat models, but since the plural of anecdote is not data I don't place tremendous weight on the (few) stories I've read. They were a pretty innovative company and the cameras now aren't very expensive, so I want a small collection (a couple of bodies, a few lenses, some finders).

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 27

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really like the RE series and earlier F, Fv, G. I personally found them to be much easier to repair and more reliable than the 'deluxe' Sensorex series. The slow speed escapement on the RE, F, Fv, G occasionally is in need of cleaning and adjustment and can jam the shutter. Fortunately it's easily accessed on these models via removing the bottom plate. Anyway, I did pick up the newer f1.4 E & EC lenses on eBay for low cost and find them to be excellent alternatives to the earlier lens types. God knows who actually manufactured the various Miranda optics since Soligor was only a distributor and Miranda was not an optical company. I have not heard of any bad reviews on the various Miranda lenses so maybe an earlier and very affordable normal f1.8 lens will be just fine.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration