Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex TLR film just rolls through Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Rolleiflex TLR film just rolls through « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paivi
Tinkerer
Username: Paivi

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a rolleiflex tlr (MX type 4 if i remember correctly) that i have been using quite successfully. but recently ive managed to just wind several films straight through without any exposures.

after getting the film in right, there is supposed to be about 4 rounds (by rounds i mean winding the crank) of space before the crank stops and youre on frame #1. and it used to do just that. now i can roll the entire film through without any stops nor resistance.. sometimes it stops around 8 rounds. it still says frame #1 but i can only fit a couple of pictures in before the film is actually filled. i can hear the difference when the film is out.

im using regular black and white medium format film. and i know how to put the film in right :-)

anyone have have pointers what might be the issue? im a newbie when it comes to oldskool cameras so go easy on me.

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 61

Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paivi,
the film cog and counter system often fail with the older types (wear out or need readjusting). I've never owned a Rolleiflex TLR and can't help.

An MPP Microflex TLR which I acquired from someone whom I thought was reputable had the same issue. When the film continued to wind and wind, I realised that something was wrong. Opening up the camera, the interior winding mechanism had been completely gutted.

Hopefully yours won't be as severe.

Good luck.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 35

Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are feeding the film underneath the roller that actuates the automatic frame counter ?

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, you are, sounds like the automatic frame counter is out of adjustment. Could be in need of a CLA. Rollei is very well made it would surprise me if it is broken.
I also remember reading somewhere that some brands 120 film do not always trigger the mechanism as the film thickness is different. Perhaps you could try another brand of film.

Paivi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have tried the arista.edu from freestylephotos and ilford hp.

i thought it was film difference too because arista just rolled through and ilford stopped at the right spot. but then last time i changed film both brands rolled through the same way.

the symptoms seem to be getting worse... which is why i thought there might be a simple screw loose :-)

Paivi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

btw and both films used to work just fine. this thing started 2 weeks ago with one film rolling through (arista) and one stopping (ilford). now they both just roll.

that might have been a fluke but ive now managed to roll 3 films (arista and ilford) the same way so i thought id stop and ask before i waste my entire inventory of film. the fast progression of symptoms made me think something might have come loose.

the rollei has not been dropped or roughed up. i treat my cameras super carefully.

and all film is 120.

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 37

Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine was dropped by nr. 2 son from one meter height onto concrete and is still working fine(broke the focussing screen but that turned out to be a blessing as I am now happy with one of Rick s).
There should be a rolleiflex manual on this site that shows how the mechanism works, you need a feeler gauge to adjust the roller height.

Spdtwn
Tinkerer
Username: Spdtwn

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have had a look at the manual, you will see that to adjust the clearance the wind side leather cover has to be removed to access a little cover plate along the bottom of the body. There is an eccentric adjustment under there. Sometimes the parts need a good clean..old grease. The Rollei 'GO-NOGO' gauge slipped between the rollers is 0.011"-0.007" Probably a piece of backing paper/+ film would be close.
Hope this helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration