Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica III Bulb (Z) setting - help req... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Leica III Bulb (Z) setting - help required « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnneal
Tinkerer
Username: Johnneal

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone help me get the B (Z) setting on my Leica III sorted out? It works about 1 in 4 times, otherwise I get 1/20 sec.

I have got the slow speeds adjusted OK, and now the B setting has gone walkabout :-(

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 107

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John: You have a shutter with a pin-hole timer, You probably cleaned all moving parts by now,while it's apart check that the pin attached to the dial-shaft is not bent. The B setting is supposed to hold the closing curtain from running until you let go of the shutter release. Z (German for time) holds the closing up until you turn the dial off Z. Also did you check the linkage and cams from slow speed scale . Let me know how you make out with it. The Leica 111 is a great well engineered camera ahead of it's time and once fixed it will outlast me. Good luck..Don

Johnneal
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don,

Thanks for your input - I fear my description may have been a little confused, and I should not have mentioned Z, so here goes again.

On the slow speed dial I have 1/20 to T (time) and these all work fine, following a clean and lube. The T setting hold the shutter until I move the dial to 1 sec, or wind on the shutter.

However, the B setting has now decided not to work at all - all I get is (approx) 1/20 sec. the pins all look OK and all the other speeds work just fine. I had a B setting until I sorted out the slow speeds, now I don't.

I have seen this problem before on a IIIc and a IIIF, but they have a different release train, in which the B setting can be affected by the condition of the leaf springs on the botton of the camera. I'm struggling to rationalise the release sequence for the III (the first one I have worked on) as it is significantly different to those. It's also different to the I and II bodies I have.

I guess it is time for the top cover to come off again...

Johnneal
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like I was right - there is a spring on the pawl that catches the 2nd curtain latch under the speed dial, the strength of this has to be balanced against the upward pressure from the flat leaf spring at the bottom of the body.

Get this right and, hey presto, working B setting again!

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 110

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sounds like you have this one mastered, congrats...Don

Spdtwn
Tinkerer
Username: Spdtwn

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI. Leica have a release/no release gauge which slips under the release button so that when setting B and getting both curtains to rundown closed when rewinding..if shutter is in cocked state. Release=0.011" No=0.016". Feeler gauges would do the trick.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration