Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Edixa-Flex shutter gears - sticky pro... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Edixa-Flex shutter gears - sticky problem! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 83

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to fix my Wirgin Edixa-flex. The 2nd curtain had a tendency to stick towards the end of its travel. I am sure all it needed was a bit of cleaning and a few drops of watch-oil.

The main problem seemed to be some drag between the two coaxial gears below the speed control, the top one controlling the 1st curtain and the lower controlling the 2nd. Hoping to be able to get the top gear off I tried to undo what appears to be a screw in the middle (it turns with the lower, 2nd curtain gear) but I could not shift it. Now the original problem is very much worse, and the 2nd curtain sticks much earlier in its travel. I am afraid I may have bent, or damaged something when I tried to undo the screw, though I don't think I used excessive force. This, of course, means it is even more important that I get it apart!

Does anyone know how to do this? I don't want to risk going further until I know what I am doing.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 84

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some good news. It seems to have freed itself up, in fact it may actually be a bit better than when I started!

I think either a bit of sand may have got in when I was trying to turn the centre screw (there is ample evidence of happy days at the beach!) or there may have been some lighter fuel left from my cleaning efforts where the lower gear spindle turns in the upper gear.

I would still like to get the gears off, because I cannot get to the places that need lubricating unless I do. Probably my first plan of getting the centre screw out was the right one, but it is so tight that the only safe way of doing it would be to lock the gear wheel somehow, which is not easy to do.

Plan-B is to mix a little oil with some lighter fuel and run that down the centre of the gears and hope that when the solvent dries out it will leave a film of oil in the right places.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration