Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bronica S2A Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Bronica S2A « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jesse
Tinkerer
Username: Jesse

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I have had several med. format cameras over the years and I recently bought a Bronica S2A with 3 lenses. It feels lovely and is in very good
condition. Could anyone help me with 2 issues?

1. Does it need to have a film loaded before the shutter can be fired?

2. I have tried and it fired once. I then stopped as (stupidly) I had loaded the film without having the black side up. I put in another
film, the right way up, and I can't cock the shutter at all. The mirror is locked down and the shutter can't be released.
Have I done any serious damage and is there a way to release the mirror?

I'd be very grateful for any advice on this. Regards, jesse

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jesse: I had an S2 and you have to have film in the back to tension the shutter. Or put in the darkslide and remove the back then the shutter will release over and over. The shutter is probably already tensioned. One thing Be kind with the film advance, but if yours is the S2A it has the steel wind gear and not brass. I found on some lenses that the f stop opens slowly or not at all and required cleaning. DNot good in cold weather. The Nikor lenses are great. Don

Jesse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don, I have removed the back and the advance just turns. I also think that the shutter is tensioned but the mirror is still flat beneath a thin steel plate which is spring loaded. I think that the mirror needs to be released but I can't seem to do it and I don't want to fiddle. I have not done anything untoward and I don't like to play with anything I'm unsure of. Is there any other possible remedy? Thanks very much for your help so far. Kind regards, Jesse

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 114

Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't remember if it had a lock up for the mirror but it should have. 1 can you see the curtain across the back? If not it could be jammed. Also if you tried to use tdhe slow shutter speeds and they were in need of cleaning that will jam the cameraYou might change speed to 125 or higher this might let the shutter finish. make sure the mirror is right and not cracked. Question is the advance knob unable to turn to tension? I believe the s2a also had double exposure lever you can try to set and tension. If none of this helps you might have to send it in for repair, Coes camera used to do bronica but not sure. There has to be others you might have to surf for one. Once working it's a nice camera for use on a sturdy tripod , Good Luck Don

Jesse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don
Yes the curtain is across the back. I have tried all of the speeds. When the back is off the crank turns freely but does not stop turning. When the back is on the crank will turn for about 2mm and then stop. I have tried light pressure but don't want to overdo this. I understood that removing the back also allows you to make multiple exposures. I have a sneaking feeling this is the film jammed which could be my fault. I'm going back to square one and will re-load another film. I'm most gratful for your help and advice. Kind regards, jesse

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration