Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stuck focusing on Semi-Leotax Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Stuck focusing on Semi-Leotax « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Qaeng
Tinkerer
Username: Qaeng

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The outer lens/ focusing ring on a Semi-Leotax I just acquired on auction is frozen in place. I had this same condition on one I bought 7 months ago and I actually cracked a lens by torquing too hard on it. As I recall, no solvent that I tried had done much to loosen it. After I finally got the broken lens off, it looked like "petrified grease" in the threads. Any ideas for kinder and gentler approach?

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 107

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try searching the forum for "Isolette" - there are a number of threads asking about what seems to be a similar problem with these beasties. They will give you a better idea of your options than any other advice I can offer.

Adrian

Shutterbug2
Tinkerer
Username: Shutterbug2

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i,ve had 2 camera,s with same problem in past exakta, ricolet. both were frozen solid. luckily with very firm grip and persistance working them so little back and forth they loosened up nicely. i,ve also put camera on it,s back and put just small drop of clock oil on opening of focus ring so it,ll migrate down into threads eventually loosen things up.but this could cause you worse problems if oil gets in wrong places so use very spareingly. i have,nt tried this but why could,nt person use very low heat on hair dryer work it 360 deg. around focusing ring to soften grease up. use your own judgement on distance and heat setting you use. it,s got to help. old camera grease sometime sets up like locktite.hope this helps. James

Qaeng
Tinkerer
Username: Qaeng

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your advice. I'll give these a try and any others that may still get posted.

John_scott
Tinkerer
Username: John_scott

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree that using heat is the best way to soften old grease. If possible, I would take the whole shutter-lens assembly off of the camera. There may be many ways of applying heat, but the key is that it is heated slowly and evenly. I use a normal oven, set on low heat. Some people have told me that they use a heat gun or hair dryer.

Another tip: Use oven mitts if you have to, but grip the parts and try to unscrew them WHILE they are still at maximum heat. Take off the aluminum knurled focising ring before you heat the lens, so that you can completely remove the lens when it is hot.

Realityguy
Tinkerer
Username: Realityguy

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've run into similar problems with just about every Agfa Isolette old folder I've ever bought.As someone said before,take off the knurled focus ring and try to get some oil(acetone with a small brush in the down position below) into the grease but try to keep the lens in such a position as to keep the oil from getting into the shutter blades.
<p>I positon the cameras lens face down on a couple blocks at the ends ,let it sit for a day or two and try to unscrew the front focussing element that way.Sometimes a strap type wrench will work if there is enough lip to get a grip onto it.
<p>Once it comes off,clean the old grease out of the threads,put in something new sparingly on the element threads, and screw the element in place.
To put the focus ring back on,you'll need to sync the lens in to infinity by using a ground glass across the film plane and a loupe to get the focus just right.An old TLR 6x6,2-1/4x2-1/4) viewing glass is perfect for any 6x6,6x9 old folder,taped across the film area behind the bellows..or in an emergency a piece of waxed paper will produce a good image..as long as it is flat and taped tight.Once you are happy with the distance settings,screw the focus ring back on so it corresponds to the proper distance.
<p>I try not to take lenses off of old folders unless I really have to,sometimes you destroy the fragile bellows doing it,especially trying to reach inside with spanners and frozen lens retaining rings.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration