Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro - can only get so far... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica Electro - can only get so far.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Minikomi
Tinkerer
Username: Minikomi

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm digging in to my first yashica electro and I've hit a snag trying to get at the shutter.. I've been following Matt's (excellent) yashica repair guide but it's a little vague at the point I'm having trouble with.

I took off the first ring, and then unscrewed the first element of the lens. There were three screws underneath, which I also removed and then I found I could get as far as taking off the shutter selecter (B, Auto, flash) ring. Now I can see a golden colored ring with 3 screw holes, and a black ring inside that with another lens element sitting in it.

Please see attatchment, as I can't see how to get any further than this!

Shutterbug2
Tinkerer
Username: Shutterbug2

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i,m just hobbiest put i dove into my voigtlander vito clr last night. down to shutter speed assembly. if i,m right their should be 2 small holes on inside ledge of lens element your down to at this point. you have to unscrew this element assembly to proceed further. it should have right hand thread so it loosens counter clock wise. i used small point of philps jewelers screw driver baring down firmly not to scratch lens to loosen mine. since i don,t have special tools to remove them in safer manner. if i had the yashica in front of me i could tell you for sure. hope this helps you get going again. James

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 210

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 03:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, usually stripping down the Y el 35 from the front is not too difficult, but I guess that your electro is one of the more demanding cases as your attached picture makes me think that instead of removing the front lens cell you only took off the front lens glass. Unscrewing the lens group as a whole is obligatory to get any deeper, you can see that here: http://homepage1.nifty.com/fukucame/daisaku/d11.htm
W.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 211

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahem, it's me again. If you find Matt's tips excellent (which they are), how about this: http://personal.inet.fi/koti/picnet/electro/page_01.htm? W.

Minikomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you've confirmed what I thought had happened - my lens assembly seems to not be "sealed" as Matt puts it on his page... I've tried re-attatching the shutter selector using the three screws and trying to unscrew using that but no dice...

any ideas?

Werner - thanks but that's not quite the problem I'm looking at here I think.. I need to get at the shutter blades!

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 212

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have always wondered about this idea of "sealed" front lens halves. There is a considerable number of electros on which the seal is so easily broken that only the front glass can be removed. It is then often very problematic to unscrew the rest of the front part of the lens. You can either drill tiny holes (1 mm) for a spanner tool or try a friction tool, but you have to be very careful not to cause any damage.
I know that you were trying to reach for the blades, but they have to be cleaned from both sides, sooner than later you will thus appreciate both links I bet, W.

Minikomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks werner. I'll have a closer look...
I'm used to working on olympus cameras so this is a little bit more convoluted than I expected it to be.

Greyhoundman
Tinkerer
Username: Greyhoundman

Post Number: 35

Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can put three small dots of slow cure super glue on the threads of the front lens ring. Screw it on tight and let cure. You can then remove whole lens unit. Don't worry if some of the glue seeps out. It can be removed with fingernail polish.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration