Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

QL-17 GIII frame counter window... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » QL-17 GIII frame counter window... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ph0t0n
Tinkerer
Username: Ph0t0n

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I dropped my Canon QL-17 GIII. The small plastic window covering the frame counter numbers popped out, and though I looked for 15 minutes, I couldn't find it. Grrrr.

I have a "basket case" QL-17 GIII that I can use as a parts mule. My question is:

How do I pop the window out of the parts camera's top plate, and install it on the good camera?

CJ

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 113

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could the original one have been pushed into the camera?

Ph0t0n
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ugh. THAT would stink. However, there's no indication that something's rolling around under the top plate...

CT

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 433

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll bet it's inside. Here are some notes on pulling the top off for a look:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-30.html

: )=

Ph0t0n
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charlie and Rick (glad to see your name in this forum still!)--

Thank you both for your suggestions, and thanks, Rick, for the QL17 diagram.

I'm going to have a look underneath the top plate and see if perhaps it's wedged somewhere in the RF mechanism.

FWIW, I don't care so much about the window; I just want to ensure dust doesn't seize the opportunity to creep in through the absent window.

When I dropped the camera it had a metal hood on it and was wearing it's 'customized' never ready case: Detach the top cover and you've got decent protection (but slow reloading because it of course attaches with the tripod mount).

And not that you asked, but I think a good number of forum members (and RFF members as well) would pay good money for your diagrams and sage advice in book form - to browse while consuming large amounts of coffee in a cafe. :-)

Cheers,

CJ

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 434

Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to just stick with the CD for now, it's a lot less hassle than trying to print a book.

Canon had a lot of trouble with frame counter windows, I think they got a bargain price on a couple of hundred gallons of glue somewhere along the line: I've seen FTb's and other 70s era Canons with the window missing, it's glued on from inside so it almost always falls into the camera and eventually winds up stuck in the works somewhere.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 114

Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another potential dust catcher in that camera is the film speed window on the top of the lens barrel. When they designed the Canonet 28 they were smart enough to put the film speeds on the outside, along the slot for the film speed selector lever, thus saving an open window on top.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration