Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fixing focusing on Olympus Trip 35/Pe... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Fixing focusing on Olympus Trip 35/Pen rangefinders « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zeca61
Tinkerer
Username: Zeca61

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've reading this forum very regularly, and all you guys are great, thanks!
Years ago, I managed to fix an old olympus Pen rangefinder, wich had bad focusing problems.
This sould work for the Olympus Trip 35 rangefinder as well. Both cameras are almost identical inside. The only diff is the frame size.
I'm not a technician, just a curious user.
Since it worked, I'd like to share here, because I see some people trying to fix the same problem.
Since the focus is done the the frontal element(the one wich rotates), you have to find the correct position for it. To achieve precision, I've found the best way is: using a close distance and an open diaphragm.
Thats what I did to find the correct position for the front element:
Set the lens to 1m position.Remove the ring around the front lens(the one hold by 3 screws) Make a little mark on the edge of the ring, as reference point.
Put a newspaper page(or magazine) on the wall. Or using something wich fine details and contrast. Setup a tripod at exactly 1 meter from the the subject.
(You can use another camera for this). Put the Olympus on the tripod(make sure the tripod stays at the exact position).
Rotate the lens 1/4 of a turn to the left and take a pic. Turn another 1/4 to the left and take another pic. Return the lens to the original position and then rotate it 1/4 of a turn to the right and take the third pic. Turn more 1/4 to the right and take the last pic.
For achieving great precision set the diaphragm to 2.8(IMPORTANT: Use a slow film and low light situation to avoid over exposure). Develop the film and observe all four pics using your enlarger. Since the pic contains letters and other fine details, it will be easy to spot the better one.
To resume: You'll get four pics, each one w/ the lens in diff positions(to the left and to the right).Using this method I've found the rigth position right away. If you didn't just load the film again the start from the position you achieved the better results. Now, you know wich direction you have to go(left or right). Use 1/4 of turn increments or less for more precision.
Good luck.
PS: Hope it helps.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 115

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a method of holding the shutter open on a Trip 35 while you adjust focus on a piece of wax paper/scotch tape/ground glass on the film rails so you can get an exact focus setting, at infinity. This method is on line somewhere or maybe someone here can tell you. I have forgotten where I saw it.

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found an easy way to jam the shutter open is to first remove the top cover then insert a strip of thin card so as to jam the brass flywheel that is located underneath and to the left of the film wind-on wheel.

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 26

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found an easy way to jam the shutter open is to first remove the top cover then insert a strip of thin card so as to jam the brass flywheel that is located underneath and to the left of the film wind-on wheel.

The card I used was 0.2 mm thickness and 8 mm in width and it was inserted at and angle (\). Once you stop the flywheel from turning the shutter will stay open allowing you to focus at infinity.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration