Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Adox Golf folding camera: how to remo... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Adox Golf folding camera: how to remove top? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dr_megavolt
Tinkerer
Username: Dr_megavolt

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I am a new member and recently became interested in classic folding cameras.

I own a few Adox Golf folding cameras from the 50s (fell in love with them and could not resist on ebay, they are rather cheap here in Germany) and would like to get them to working condition.

Repaired pinholes in the bellows with latex paint, which looks sufficient.

Problem is I would like to remove the top to clean the viewfinder. Is someone in this board who knows this make? There are two versions, one with a visible screw in the winding knob and the other one without. The latter version is the problem. I just don`t get that top from the body. I tried to hold the axis from inside the film compartment with padded pliers and turned the winding knob in the opposite direction, but nothing moved. The other direction does not work either.

Someone who has a hint for me?

Thanks a lot and greetings from Cologne, Germany.

Roland

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 40

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The thread in the winding knob on mine is lefthanded. If you turn the knob clockwise it should come off (does on mine )

Dr_megavolt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lucas,

thanks for your reply. It worked fine on another Adox Golf without visible screw in the winding knob (I have three different versions of that model). But not on the modell I am just working on. Perhaps the thread was damaged, the back hinge is bent, too. I will use the lens from that camera, which looks fine, in the body I can remove the top from (that has a little fungus in the lens).
Thanks again.

Roland

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What kind of latex paint did you use to fix the bellows?

Dr_megavolt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For fixing the bellows I used black latex paint, which is available for creating masks or special fetish costumes ;-) from ebay (Germany). I got the hint from a German repair site. My experiences so far: the paint can be easily applied and rins nicely into the folds of the bellow. It dries rather fast and remains flexible. One layer of paint (I just painted all four corners since pinholes seemed to be everywhere) filled almost all holes, some needed a second and third layer. It is drying now and I hope those three layers don`t add too much thickness so it still fits into the bellows compartment. If not, I have three other leaking bellows to experiment ;-).

Regarding the Adox Golf, there seem to be at least three versions:
#1 winding knob with screw on top, easily removable;
#2 winding knob without screw, back closing mechanism made from painted metal, two versions from that model: one with red film counter window, another one with a window cover made from metal; on both of these versions I can`t remove the winding knob. There must be trick.
# 3 winding knob without screw, back closing mechanism made from metal, but with a small strip of leather glued on. Knob may be removed by turning clockwise.

Is the latter version the one you have?

Thanks.

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 01:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the remains of a #3. The bellows are leaking as on yours, but if I finish the roll fast enough the photos are realy nice.
Now how to convince my wife I need to order a fetish item...............

Dr_megavolt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your reply. I think I try to combine body #3 and a Adoxar Lens with 1/100 sec. Hope it works.

Three layers of latex are too much. I don't get the bellows folded into the compartment. Otherwise it worked nicely. Next bellows with less paint.

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 43

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If not let me know. I am not using mine and the outside is so far gone, fixing it is really a waste of time. The vario shutter B, 25, 50, 200 is clean and the lens 1:6,3 75mm Adoxar is spotless. I live roughly an hour away from Cologne, if you are in need of parts.............

Dr_megavolt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's a small world :-))

thanks for your offer, will start tinkering with my Golfs...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration