Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex 2.8e shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Rolleiflex 2.8e shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Evisc
Tinkerer
Username: Evisc

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a sticky compur-synchro shutter on my Rolleiflex 2.8e. I thought i might remove the timing gear part and the self timer gear part and clean them properly? Can this be done by removing the screws highlighted on the picture? Or are they also attached to the back of the shutter? Is it an easy and recommendable way of cleaning the shutter?
Shutter

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the screws will allow you to remove the speed train and self timer gears. You will have to release the tension on the main spring to allow proper removal and replacement of the speed gears.

From your picture, note that the speed gear has a small wire spring hooked on the tab at about eight oclock. Be careful that you don't disengage it during cleaning.

Lighter fluid is best for flushing the gears and NYoil only the pivot points of the individual gears on the train. 1 drop of oil is enough to lubricate 5 speed trains so use it sparingly.

There is play in the position of the train, it will shift slightly in or out. This allows for general adjustment of the speed timing. The pin above the lower screw (7:00) is also an adjustment.

Force nothing, make sure it is seated properly before you tighten the screws.

Best of luck, Kevin

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your help, got the shutter cleaned up no problems... I'm wondering about this spring though; shown in red is the position I found the spring, but it doesn't seam to be doing anything... In blue is a suggestion for where it should be.
Do you know? Thanks!
Spring

Krp
Tinkerer

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Done. Yes, the blue lined position is the proper one. One end on the small pivoting lever (you can see the notch for it) and the other on the inside wall of the shutter. The pivoting lever moves into place to hold the blade control ring on the 'Bulb' setting. The control ring moves that lever away on all other speed settings.

Regards, Kevin

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot! I just tested the shutter speed:
1s = 1,0 - 1,02
1/2s = 0,5 - 0,54
1/4s = 0,25 - 0,26
1/8s = 0,125 - 0,14
This seams reasonable close to me, how close should it be? (the numbers to the right are my measured shutter speeds.)

Krp
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I doubt if you could get them much closer, well within anyone's standards.

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's good to know!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration