Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fed 4 shutter release and rangefinder... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Fed 4 shutter release and rangefinder cam help PLS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yachtbirka
Tinkerer
Username: Yachtbirka

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All
I have a fed 4 that i got off the bay, the shutter release releases, then when you change speeds you have to push really hard to release the shutter, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt, but if i use a cable release it releases all the time.
any ideas on what i can do to fix it, another thing the rangefinder cam is really far into the camera and doesnt touch the lens rim and so the rangefinder doesnt rangefind, any ideas on how to fix that as well
many thanks
Nathan

Yachtbirka
Tinkerer
Username: Yachtbirka

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok rereading it makes it a little confusing so step by step
1. I wind camera
2. Change shutter speed
3. Push down shutter release, really hard nothing happens
4. Screw in the cable release push and shutter releases
5. Remove cable release and rewind camera without changing speed and push shutter release and it works without the cable release,over and over
6 Wind camera and change speed and we are back to number 3

Next about the rangefinder cam, I pushed it in and the spring doesnt return it to the front, so I carefully pulled it back out and there was a click, and now the spring returns it to the front but it is a bit sticky and slugish, does it need to be cleaned, relubed, and how do i do this?

Many thanks
Nath

John_cribbin
Tinkerer
Username: John_cribbin

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

For both problems you will need to take the top off. Go to http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html and look at the FED / Zorki pages. These will show you how to get the top off and see what you are dealing with before you start.

Not sure about your first problem, but you may see what's going on with the top off.

The rangefinder cam is pushed back into place by a bent wire spring. You can see it clearly in Ricks FED 5 pages. This may have come loose, or broken. Or it may be the typical Soviet gummed up lube.

If the latter, you may get away with the cure all lighter fluid and Q tip cleaning method to remove the accumulated gunk. If not you may have to do some minor surgery. This is from memory, it's a long time since I've been inside one ....Unscrew and remove the cam from inside the camera throat. Push the rangefinder arm on the top away from the cam, which can them be pushed up and out through the top. This will allow you do give a good clean. I would just give a light smear of lube where the cam bolt goes through the body.

Good luck.

John

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration