Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A Power Winder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon A Power Winder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jll6510
Tinkerer
Username: Jll6510

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I have a question and request.
I have two Canons an AE1 and AE1Program, I have A Winders on both cameras.
Both winders have developed the same problem. They don't finish the cycle, the shutter goes 3/4 of the way across and stops, the led on the winder stays on. I can finish the cycle with the wind lever.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I would appreciate any help I can get, I want to repair them myself.

jll

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 225

Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You do not state what type of batteries you are using. If you are using rechargeables, ditch them and try a set of Duracell AA batteries. If problem persists then you have a rather unusual situation - two winders developing the same problem, on different cameras. You do not indicate if both winders failed at the same time, or over differing time periods.

My initial reaction is that your cameras need a service. The wind on torque may be too large for the drives to overcome, especially if the drives themselves need a clean/lube. If the problem only occurs with film in the cameras, check that the rewind knobs are free to rotate.

Jll6510
Tinkerer
Username: Jll6510

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, I am using Duracell AAs. The winders failed about 6 months apart.
I have another winder that works fine on both cameras with or without film. Both cameras are in good working order.
I have even swapped battery holders.
If I leave them off of the cameras and activate then manually the good one rotates almost 360 degrees. one of the others rotates 3/4 of that, the other doesn't come close.
jll

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 227

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so not so unusual circumstances. So the problem is with the drives - obviously a service is called for. You will have to split the case to get at the gearbox and motor. I seem to remember that you have to peel off the leatherette on the A Winder. I only use the A2, so do not have an example to jog the memory.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration