Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica MG-1 restauration. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica MG-1 restauration. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zeca61
Tinkerer
Username: Zeca61

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well...Some weeks ago I've decided to get an Yashica MG-1 just for fun. I already own a nice Electro 35 GSN in excellent shape, despite being more than 30 years old.
I know the MG-1 is a simplified version of the Electro 35 with less features(no "B" setting, no parallax correction and a f=2.8 lens instead a f= 1.7).
The less powerfull lens doesn't bother me at all, because I know it's high quality and has been used on several other Yashica's ancient models(Minister D, J, etc)...Sharpness and contrast always very good.
Finally my baby arrived.(less than 20 bucks)! :-D
I was conscious about the little chance of getting a perfect working camera and totally ready to have some fun and learn something while trying to fix it.
I'm really trying to get into collecting old rangefinders and I wanna to be able to fix simple problems.
After a short inspection, I've found 3 flaws:
-No power w/ new 6v battery and a homemade adapter,
-No clunk while advancing the film (bad P.O.D.)
-Little fog on the inner lens elements(between the shutter blades)
That weekend I managed to fix the first two.
The pad got replaced without difficulties using the needle method and the 'no-power' was caused by a corroded wire on the negative terminal of the battery.
But, to my judgment the lens will never be like- new again, even w/ a good cleaning.
Since I don't have a complete set of tools, I didn't remove the lens yet, because I don't want to butcher anything.
My idea was to find a 'parts MG-1' before trying to go inside the lens barrel.
Days later, I've found a parts camera on ebay. Bought it and in fact the lens is far way better, despite the body in poor condition, jammed shutter and missing levers on the top.
Now my question:
How can I disassemble the front and back elements without causing any damage on the camera?
Which tools do I need and can they be home made?
I have the Electro 35 assembly charts, but the front barrel of the MG-1 is quite different, mainly because of the electric-eye.
Does anybody know where can I download the service manual/assembly charts of the MG-1 at no charge?
Thanks for any advice and sorry for the big text and my poor english.
/Zack

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration