Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon S cleaning/repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Nikon S cleaning/repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Md2020
Tinkerer
Username: Md2020

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all - new here.

I recently picked up a Nikon S rangefinder that has a couple problems. Slow speeds are not working, neither is the frame counter. I am assuming that both issues are due to the fact that it's never seen a CLA.

I see that service manual reprints are available, and this looks like something I think I might be able to handle. I've got pretty good mechanical skills, an engineering degree, and the ability to fabricate simple tooling in my basement shop. I've never worked on a camera though, so to those that have been inside a Nikon RF - do you think performing my own CLA a realistic goal?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 228

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As the 'S' is the least valuable of the Nikon rangefinders, I suppose you have nothing to loose if your patient dies on the bench. Personally, I would recommend a cheap Russian rangefinder as a first foray into camera servicing.

The 'S' is a nice camera to use and well made, so if you are determined, get the service manuals and check out the procedures and tools required. You should note that many official service manuals are more of an 'aide memoir' for a trained technician - they tend to be short on illustrations. So take plenty of digital images/make notes as you proceed. This is one area where digital is a godsend - beats making pencil sketches anyday.

I wish you well in your endeavours.

Md2020
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn -

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have a jammed Seagull folder and my mom's old Canon RF that I can practice on first. That may be a good idea before breaking open the Nikon.

So far my total investment in this camera is $60. I would prefer not to plunk down the estimated ~$200 that my two contacts say a CLA will cost. I'd rather learn something new along the way! The fast speeds are accurate enough to use as is too, so the camera is usable right now.

Looks like I will do some research over the holidays and I'm sure I'll have questions to post once I get started.

Thanks again!

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Md2020..Just a thought in passing. The first Nikon S cameras which were produced had an 8 digit serial number and later ones had a 7 digit number. I believe the number of 8 digit cameras only totaled 450, so they are a bit rare and more collectable and worth more. Check yours before you tear into it. It may be worth much more than you think.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 231

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Interesting, most sources quote the serials of the S as running from 6094001 to 6129600. The serials of the earlier Nikon 1 and M running from 6091 to 6094000. I wonder where the eight digit serials appeared from?

David_ritchie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn
Some where in the literature I read about the serial numbers and later I bought an eight digit one locally from a man who was aware of it. I have seen the eight digit ones on ebay and they go for sometimes 2 to 3 times the price of a seven digit. Of course condition came into play.
My camera has a serial #609105XX and I also have a seven digit one both of which have been CLAed and are in great condition.

Md2020
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have the camera with me, but I have some pics I snapped of it - 7 number serial : 61279xx. Other than a slightly bent shaft on the rewind knob, it should be a nice user, if I ever get the courage to open it up.

Thanks again, for all the advice. I'm starting on the Seagull and Canon RF over the holidays, so maybe I can have the S ready to run before the spring.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 239

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Nikon Rangefinders by Robert Rotoloni lists the rare eight digit serial S model. Just for the record, the eight digit cameras were not the first group to be made. For some reason the 609 serial prefix was considered special by Nikon, thus they were loathed to drop it. However they realised that in keeping same, the serials would eventually have huge numbers of digits.

At 6099999 to next serial became 60910000, running on to approximately 60911215. The prefix then changed to the 610 serial block.

For whatever reason the sequence was eventually changed, the eight digit cameras do command a nice premium for their owners!

David_ritchie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn
Thanks for the info. Since my earlier post, I see by your info and others that I have found, that the total eight digit cameras my be closer to 1200 than the 450 I quoted. I have looked for my original source, but have not found it. Regardless of exact number the eight digit units do command a premium over the seven digit ones.
David

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration