Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bakelite solvent? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Bakelite solvent? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chrisb
Tinkerer
Username: Chrisb

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i ran across this website where the guy says he uses a bakelite solvent to effect repairs on old radios. i wondered whether anybody has ever heard of such a thing or has any idea what it might be?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 229

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There ain't no such beast! I suggest you miss-read the site. Years ago, there used to be products called 'Bakelite Solvent Cements' available, for people who wanted to attempt repairs on items made from this product.

There is a site, which states that the author has used NOS Bakelite solvent cements, modified by the addition of powdered Bakelite, to effect repairs on old radio cabinets. I guess he will have to use a modern epoxy when he runs out of the old product!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 442

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, Dr. Baekeland realized that he had created Bakelite when he discovered that there was no solvent that could clean it out of his test tubes. There might be a substance that can dissolve Bakelite, but I can't imagine what it would be and I don't think I'd want to handle it.

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 80

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bakelite is basically one huke molecule. You can not disolve that!

If you want to glue bakelite, sand the area to make it rough and use slow epoxi. If you want to achieve a good bond, do small holes with a dremmer around the crack and "sew" the crack with copper wire before aplying the epoxi.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration