Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ansco Automatic Reflex Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Ansco Automatic Reflex « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim_metcalfe
Tinkerer
Username: Jim_metcalfe

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know if the taking and viewing lenses on this camera are identical? I want to know if I can swap the front elements, since the taking lens is scratched.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 444

Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, they are not.

However, the lens of the AAR is identical (as near as I can tell) to the one in the Ciro-Flex, so you might be able to salvage one out of a Ciro. I don't know if I'd swap just one element, I don't know if they were matched on assembly.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 117

Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick Oleson's writeup (http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-77.html) says the viewing lens is f3.2. I think most TLRs have a larger viewing lens to give less depth of field in the viewing lens to ensure sharp focus of the taking lens without having to spend big bucks to match the two lenses.

Jim_metcalfe
Tinkerer
Username: Jim_metcalfe

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! Now that I think of it, duh! The only other TLR I've worked on is an old Chinese-market Seagull. Its lenses do seem to be identical triplets.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 449

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can pretty much tell by looking at them, the top lens in the AAR is considerably larger than the bottom one. The coating is different too; the intro article said the viewing lens was coated, but I don't think it was in either the AAR or the Ciro, and the one in my 1950 Rollei doesn't look coated either. I have a feeling that coating was exotic enough at that time that they didn't waste it on non-imaging optics.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 118

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, as a warning, you might not want to take the chance that the viewing optics were more flare proof than the taking optics.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration