Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

FTb light meter? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » FTb light meter? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i got a FTb... who saw that coming? it's sweet, but not perfect...

so! well, first of all, the light meter is whack... sometimes if you move the circle (aperture), it'll grab the needle and pull it up or down a distance before it springs back into position. is it worth attempting to fix this? the FTb's top cover take off looks pretty confusing. has anyone here tried it?

cheers,
Dragunov

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 13

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are more experienced forum members than I who can advise you on FTb cover removal, however, the FTb is fully covered in Tomosy's "Camera Maintenance & Repair" Book 1 (ISBN 0936262869). Highly recommended, also his Book 2. The FTb is definitely worth repairing.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 445

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a sketch for it. Email me [email protected]

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, i got the book from the local library, that's how i know it's pretty confusing...

and Rick- sketch for top cover removal or for what? i have instructions on how to do it, it just looks a tad confusing. and there's a bit of dust in the viewfinder... so is it worth attempting (is it too easy to screw up?)

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 234

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The top plate/cover of the FTb is very simple to remove and replace, as is the viewfinder assembly. However; the big problem is what you will find, when you remove the cover. Any internal foam will be well degraded and will need to be removed and replaced - thus you may have to delve deeper into the internals. You should also note that the only way to properly service the shutter, it to completely strip the mechanism.

The FTb is a robust, well made camera - the only mechanical problem being a gear at the bottom of the wind mechanism which sometimes fails/strips. When this happens the wind lever will lock solid. The viewfinder can show balsam faults and the prism silvering can be a bit iffy, neither stop the camera being used - So it is well worth a cla, either diy or local repair shop. whichever you choose, the camera is worth it

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 446

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's probably worth clicking on an email hyperlink to find out.....

seriously, the sketch is for removing the top cover, which is all you should need to pull the prism and reach the meter needle doobies. If you need to service the shutter, that's going a bit deeper.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

haha... i havent paid for the camera yet (as of... well... now.) so i'll wait until i do.

and nobody seems to have FTb repair manuals or walkthroughs... i found a really good one for the ME super. but nothing for the FTb. gah.

are the meter 'doobies' easy to break? cause if they are, they will get broken. yep, that's me. well, not exactly..

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 448

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 04:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, they're easy to break; go easy once they're exposed. The inside of a camera is not like the inside of an engine, the parts tend to be small, delicate and complicated, and in some cases not attached to anything once you have the covers off.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 237

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The official Canon service 'manuals' tend to be aimed at the trained technician - hence a lack of pictures and for the FT range, just a series of notes. However the removal of the top plate is straight forward, just remember to remove the battery cover - surprising the number of people who forget and wonder why the cover will not move.

I suspect your meter needle problem is caused by either a previous diy attempt to clean/remove the screen, or dirt/degraded foam jamming the mechanism. As Rick states. the meter assembly is delicate - well the needle and follower are, and you can easily catch same when you are replacing the prism and associated bits.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't want to wander off topic, but is there a forum member with instructions on how to access the shutter of the FTb. I keep singing the praises of Tomosy's books but his instructions on oiling the 6 shutter bearings are a bit vague. A TLb I have acquired is in great shape except for some moisture marks on the curtains and an unpleasant squeak when winding-on, so shutter inspection appears essential.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 238

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gez.

Go to the following site:-

http://www.lensinc.net/canonrepair.html

Jim will send you the FTb/TLb Manual (pdf on CD) for $5.95 plus p&p. The ref is CAN07 and it is a copy of the official 170 page item. The manuals are nicely scanned and complete.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, is it worth doing? not really? nothing is really broken... and it's easy to break it. i guess not then...

thanks!

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another thing... does anyone have/can anyone here take a pic of the FTb with the top cover removed? i want to know what i'm up against before i actually do anything...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration