Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Camera repair wiki Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Camera repair wiki « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Minikomi
Tinkerer
Username: Minikomi

Post Number: 7

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a big fan of this site and camerapedia . . and wonder, in my kevin costner like way, if I build it will they come?

I'm proposing a site which lists camera types.. someone with a question would click on the camera which interests them, and it would take them to a page with common problems . . eg, stuck shutter, rangefinder out of whack, advance does not wind . .

when a common problem is clicked upon, it takes them to a page with the first thing they should try. Did it fix the problem? no? new page, next step they should try.

If it's a complex repair, it should be documented with either drawn notes or, even better, before removing/after removing photos of the parts, exactly how many screws were removed, what to look out for etc. If a good format for this can be developed I think it can save many hours of sweary frustration :-)

If it's made so everyone can contribute, I think a supportive community like this will help it grow to be a great great resource... waddayathink?

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm all for it. Wikis are great.

Fred_the_oyster
Tinkerer
Username: Fred_the_oyster

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 01:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Supported! That's a great idea.

Evisc
Tinkerer
Username: Evisc

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be excellent!

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 39

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This topic was discussed to some extent nearly a year ago:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6899/5824.html

Minikomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fair enough. good points for and against to be read there, but I'm not aiming to replace this forum, or the many great blogs and sites people have put their hard hard work into! just suppliment it.
Really, in the end, it can only be as good as people make it. . . and because everyone here is so willing to share information, I assumed that people would work towards making it a great resource

More on this to come. Any input is most welcomed.

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once a nucleus is formed, the advantages would become obvious to everyone, and the site would become a Mecca for camera restorers. Unfortunately, someone has to do the hard labor of creating the core content. I suggest starting with English translations of some of the excellent Japanese amateur repair sites. I am sure these individuals would be willing to put their images and explanations in the public domain, especially if they got credit for it.

I would love to see such documentation for the Olympus 35 SP, a camera for which no repair manual is available. The lovely Lordomat and Baldamatic cameras would also be excellent subjects.

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 23

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do it... that WILL save alot of frustration...

also put in detailed step-by-step dissassembly instructions with pictures(!) if you can.

good idea!
Dragunov

Minikomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 05:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

translations was EXACTLY what i was intending to start with!

will help my japanese and make a good site heh

any links you have.. please post them!

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 81

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started a site like that a year ago and I have already some repairs posted. Some are pretty basic but it's some material that it's visited around 100 times per week and usually I have good feedback from visitors.

If you want the information of how to restore some cameras, please feel free to take the information from my site for the wiki with the sole condition of mentioning the source of the information.

http://www.rusted.free.fr/cameraindex.html

There is an excellent japanese site with amazing restorations:

http://ns.kochi-med.net/moto/camera/

Translating this page with automatic translators was totally useless but the pictures are so good that it's self explanatory

Hovaness
Tinkerer

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One area of emphasis should be the reverse-engineering of circuit schematics. For example, the (undocumented) light meter circuit of the Olympus 35SP is too complicated to understand by simple inspection. It would be wonderful if a contributor with an electronics background could produce a schematic with adjustment notes.

Hovaness
Tinkerer

Post Number: 58

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am willing to contribute digital images. I have a large collection of 35mm parts cameras (Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Balda, Olympus, Lordomat, Konica, Yashica) and a digital camera with good macro capability. Let me know what you need.

Minikomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for being quiet on this! It's coming... still getting my head around the wiki world.

One area of emphasis should be the reverse-engineering of circuit schematics. For example, the (undocumented) light meter circuit of the Olympus 35SP is too complicated to understand by simple inspection. It would be wonderful if a contributor with an electronics background could produce a schematic with adjustment notes.

>>>> The great thing about a wiki is it grows as people add to it... The digital images would be great! especially gradual assembly/dissasembly.

When it's in place, just add as you can.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 63

Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you build it, they will not come.

Check out the Contax Wiki. (find it you can)

Donnie has it right: it was discussed at length and dismissed for good reason (just look it up).

A Wiki is not interactive as this board has always been.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration