Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F3 ASA adjustment ring needs re... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Nikon F3 ASA adjustment ring needs repair - Help, please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jrcarden
Tinkerer
Username: Jrcarden

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a beautiful looking Nikon F3 that appears to work well except for the ASA setting ring. Brand new batteriess, no corrosion in the battery compartment. Shutter speed and '+' and '-' appear fin in the viewfinder. I pulled up to unlock the spring-loaded ASA setting ring and it is very stiff to turn. I worked it back and forth a few times and that seemed to free it up but as I did that there were small "crumbs" of white substance coming out from the inside the ring mechanism. Now I can turn the ASA ring through its entire range (although not smoothly) but turning it has no effect on the meter readings in the viewfinder.

Thanks for your help.
Jim C.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jrcarden
Tinkerer
Username: Jrcarden

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Turns out the white "crumbs" are broken bits of the glass ASA resistor ring. I found a couple of pages in a Google book review that cover this repair and I called Nikon to see if they stock the part. They do, part #40FB-FA1-684 ($29.60). I got a reasonable estimate for labor and decided to send it to John Hawley for repair.

Thanks,
Jim C.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration