Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus om1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Olympus om1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel
Tinkerer
Username: Nigel

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a olympus om1 that has a problem when i look through the eye lens there is something on the curved screen .it looks as though it has cellotape or something else thats covering it or on it. its the same with the front lens on or off so its inside the viewfinder someware. any help greatfully recieved

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 36

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Might be the deterioration of the prism which I hear is not uncommon with OM-1. Apparently the foam padding (?) around the prism turns to goo (?) and eats away at the silvering. Canon Pellix and some other cameras can suffer similar problems due to the way their prisms are held in place (tape?). The OM-1 prism can be replaced. I hear that the OM-10 prism is a suitable swap. OM-10 cameras sell cheap. Not saying this is your OM-1 finder problem but it sounds that it may be. Someone will chime in if there are other causes.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 450

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The OM1 has a removable focusing screen: Have you taken the screen out to have a look?

Nigel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i will try to take focusing screen out thankyou for your advice. i have a om10 so might be able to swop them round . thanks again nigel

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 452

Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have not removed the screen in an OM1:

Remove the lens. At the front center of the focusing screen, there is a small tab that hangs down slightly below the screen frame. Pull this tab forward slightly with your finger, and the frame will drop down. The frame is hinged at the rear, and spring-loaded downward, so it will follow your finger down as you gently lower it toward the mirror. The screen will come down also, lying on top of the frame. Remove the screen carefully and place it on a clean cloth. Now, look inside the camera - the mirror gives you a good look up into the prism - and see if you see any loose object under the prism. Also looking up into the prism, if you see a pattern of black marks running front-to-rear in the center, this is deterioration of the silver along the peak of the prism, indicating that the prism needs to be replaced.

Nigel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thankyou for your help i will try to get it done this weekend . many thanks . nigel

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration