Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

PLEASE?.... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » PLEASE?.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 83

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since we are all DIY repairing cameras and sooner or later will be seeing eachothers cameras coming around....

PLEASE?.... Stop using glues to put on the leatherete? Use the thin double sided tape. It makes working on cameras that much easier.

I recently got several RBs that looked to be in great shape other than needed some internal adjustments. In order to get inside I have to remove the leatherete... BUT IT WAS GLUED! I had to ruin the original leatherete inorder to repair em. If the DIYer had used tape this wouldn't have been a problem.

So please stop using glue?

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 37

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ease or difficulty of removing leatherette also depends on the camera brand / model. Some camera brands & models used a vinyl covering that is so brittle that it only seems to chip off no mater what. Petri & Canonet rangefinders are 2 examples. Pliobond brand seems to work about the best of any adhesive I'm familiar with but it seems to melt or dissolve some coverings (such as newer Exaktas). Other cameras use a thick tough vinyl that is very difficult to bend around contours, affix and keep in place (certain Chinons). Many Minolta XG's used a thick softer covering which doesn't seem to hold in place very well either. Not sure how thin the double sided tape comes in but if it is too thick might it create other problems?

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 84

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plibond turns to concrete after it has cured for a few years. Pulling the leatherete off after being glued makes working on DIYer cameras a nightmare.

The double sided tape I'm talking about is as thin as scotch tape and will not be too thick. Clean both surfaces of the old sticky, apply, peel n stick. I've been using the stuff for 30 years. You don't need to weld the covering of a camera to keep in place.

Yes some old camera's leather was glued originally adn will require carefull removal but when I see newer cameras I've been servicing over the years come into my shop with glued covers, I know automatically the insides will be a mess too sicne it more than likely was done by a DIYer reading the plibond and contact cement recomendations. I haven't been wrong yet.

So come on guys, please dont glue the covers on?

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 83

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 04:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if the leatherette is glued, try to use acetone applied on the border of the leatherette with a cotton swab. Let it soak and gently pull with a worn cutter blade.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 220

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Double sided tape deteriorates over time and then turns into a nasty mess.
If you do not clean off the old glue thoroughly its remaining residue can serve as a protective layer preventing the newly applied glue from being too adhesive, this depending, of course, on the type of glue used. I usually prefer one component contact glue (for shoe repair and the like). I have never had any problems when reinspecting cameras a second time, leatherette was even easier to remove then in many cases, W.

Francis_otto
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_otto

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe older cameras used shellac to fix leather/ette coverings: this would soften with spirit. vintage fountain-pens similarly used shellac to fix the ink-sac/bladder to the section.
F.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 92

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had good luck with craft glue, of the sort used for leather and paper crafts. It's similar to white glue, but remains somewhat flexible. It has enough tack and strength to hold leatherette firmly, and prevent corners from lifting, but it's easy to clean up, and easy to peel off later.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration