Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Making new grips Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Making new grips « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 112

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bit if a funny request this, not sure how to describe it...

I've got a late Werra 1, the model with the little plastic grips on the speed ring and the aperture ring. Those on the latter are OK, but the ones on the speed ring have completely broken off. Al that is left is the hole they originally seated into, which is flush with the surface of the ring. While I can change speeds, it is a real pain in the backside.

I've wracked my brains, and can't think of a sensible substitute. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Adrian

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 458

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not familiar with the pieces in question, I don't know how big they are or how they are attached. I once replaced a broken focusing button on a Graflex Graphic 35 by cutting a couple of pieces of black, 1/8" thick ABS plastic sheet, bonding them together with solvent (MEK, methylene chloride or "Weld-On" - acetone can be used in a pinch), and then shaping the piece with files. ABS can be drilled and tapped if your parts are held on with screws.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 113

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,

I can't be certain without a complete one to hand, but I reckon they were about 3mm x 6mm, with a pin at one end that fits into a hole in the ring. They are not easy to find a picture of - even this site doesn't have a good pic - in fact, one of theirs looks to be missing the grips too! Obviously a retrograde step from the earlier metal grips. http://pagesperso-orange.fr/krg/werra/werra.htm

On the other hand, you've given me food for thought - I reckon I can probably put a pin through something thermoplastic, cut/file that to a not-too-ugly shape then attach it via the pin.

Thanks, Rick - that extra kick to my thought process is much appreciated!

Adrian

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 459

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that's much smaller than i had been envisioning! i was thinking of something more like the plastic grips on some of the Contaflexes.

For a source of ABS to carve, you could pick up an old dial telephone at a junk shop, their housings were good quality ABS. Or for a bit of poetic justice, an old P&S camera: the better ones would probably be polycarbonate, the cheap junkers more likely ABS or maybe even high impact styrene.... any of those materials should be workable.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 120

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 06:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you could make a ring of a transparent plastic that would allow you to read the shutter speeds and embed pins through it might be strong enough. A nice camera, I'm sorry I sold mine.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 114

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that is off the wall, Charlie! I wonder, though, if a bottleneck and two pins of some kind might make a temporary fix. Hmmm... Must think about it!

Yes, I have sadly broken more Werras than I've fixed, but I'm learning!

Adrian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration