Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 124 G Shutter Release Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica 124 G Shutter Release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Franicma
Tinkerer
Username: Franicma

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just purchased a Yashica 124G in immaculate cosmetical condition. The camera also operates very smoothly (including the light meter that matches my sekonic 358 readings).

The only problem it has is that the shutter button needs to be pushed far in for it to release. To the point that I need to use my nail instead of my finger tip to release. (A cable release works without problem).

It looks like the shutter button should protrude 1 or 2 milimiters more for a smooth operation. Anyone knows how to fix this?

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 129

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes your'e right, The shutter release pushes onto a metal angled flap under the front deck.You have to remove the leatherette on the front lense deck. Then there are 4 or 6 brass screws to remove the deck cover, now you should see the piece of metal that pushes against the release button. What happened is that too much force was used on the release. carefully bend the flap so that it meets the release button closer. This should do it. Test it first with the cover off and if all is fine put it back together. The leatherette is really plastic and on the older ones it breaks , newer usually susrvives. To reapply there is a double back tape just for this availaable on from a link on this site. It makes it easier to service in the future. Make sure that your'e not too close though on the adjustment...Don

Franicma
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much Don!. I will operate on it tonight and respond with the result.

Franicma
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don, I am wary of damaging the plastic cover in the process. I just found a button attachment at Adorama (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002HMRGQ) that should make the realease easy.

I will test on a small portion tonight to see if the plastic cover comes off easy. Do you know whether the screws are around the bottom lens or all over the deck?

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 29

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
If you have a 124G the cover removal should go pretty easy. This was the last model to be made and if your camera is as unused as described it is probably a later unit. Try lifting it up gently with a plastc putty knife (I have an old credit card with one edge sanded sharper just for this tybe of operation). The soft touch button may work but, it may not have enough throw either. There is a free download on the "repair manual" page of this site. The diagrams are for an older Yashica but, will give you a mental picture of what lies below the surface. That it is a sweet cam Best of luck to you with it. Andy

Franicma
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both. I just pulled the manual and although it is for a Yashica D, it shows the location of the screws which should make the operation very targeted.

I appreciate the time you guys have taken to provide guidance.

Franicma
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got home and I started working on it. The credit card is sound advice to avoid any scratches. I was being very careful and I lifted just a quarter inch on one end when I felt I was putting too much at risk since it seems to be glued to the bone. So I stopped. I will shoot using my nail or the soft touch attachment and reserve this operation just in case it worsens.

I think it is better to keep the camera spotless (for now).

Thank you again for all the help. I know now what to do if I/when it becomes necessary.

One thing I have to say: Yashica won't have any complains about these covers coming lose on their own.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 130

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One other thing, The screws that hold the deck are on the outer edges so you shouldn't have to remove much leatherette.

Franicma
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 02:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did it guys. It is all good. no damage. Cover back up. Shutter release smooth and with good travel.

Thank you for all the help.

Franicma
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since the repair the shutter triggers perfectly but I just noticed that BULB stop working (this is: in bulb setting the shutter opens and closes instead of staying open while I'm holding the button down).

Anyone know how to fix this one. Hopefully is easy since I can get the cover out no problem now.

Thank you in advance.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 133

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter is a copal, It's good but may require cleaning of the pin that hits the B cam. Again you have to remove the trim plate , The taking lens outer lens has to come off. You do this by unscrewing it from the shutter. Now you will see a silver threaded ring whih is locked by a lock screw in one of the knurls. Now unscrew the ring ccw. Now you can see the cam plate Hold it down and rotate To the B setting or betteryet have it already in B .There are pins that index into the irregular slots of the camplate. One of these are sticking. clean each and try. If you get B now success If not temporarily install the ring nut to hold things together. Remove the rear glass also and give the shutter a cleaning with ether,. blow dry and try. If it works success, and this should work and while you have it apart clean the blades spotless and dry Now dry, check and (if) aok reassemble. But before you recover leatherette check agreement of taking lens to viewing lense, This you have to do with a piece of ground glass in the film chamber. If the focus is off which it can be there is a set screw on the shank of the viewing lense that you loosen and turn the viewing lense ccw or cw to get them to agree..Don

Franicma
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I'm scouting the two grooves on the ring that secures the front pf the taking lens... I'm not sure whether I can remove it without scratching it. There is a Yashica repair expert called Mark Hama that lives 15 minutes from my house and I'm thinking to call him tomorrow as he me have a special wrench to do this.

You are quite an Engineer on these cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration