Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Aargh! Metal filings on rear element ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Aargh! Metal filings on rear element of Summicron-C! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ph0t0n
Tinkerer
Username: Ph0t0n

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stupid me. I took a file to a part of the flange which brings up the 50mm frame lines on an M camera (M6 in my case).

I WAS working carefully--but not carefully enough.

With the work done I held the lens w/ rear element pointing down and gently vacuumed it with an electronics cleaning vacuum w/ small brush attachment.

I got most of the (brass?) filings out, but the ones that remain are killing me. They're in between the lens flange and another flange. Can't even get 'em out with a camel's hair type lens cleaning brush.

I live in fear of shooting a roll of film and seeing junk on the negs/prints due to some random filing.

What should I do for this? More vacuuming? (I cleaned the rear lens element last night w/Nikon lens cleaner...but that stuff leads cloudiness -- on my Nikkors, too.

Finally I resorted to fluid that comes with camera cleaning kits you can buy at Best Buy, etc. I'm guessing it's mostly methanol. In any case, that removed most of the cloudiness, except for the outer edge of the element. I don't want to continue with microfiber cloth or lens tissue brecause of 'cleaning marks'.

So this is the fine mess I've gotten myself into. Please help!

CJ

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 242

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might be able to run a bit of adhesive tape around the gap. I tend to use double sided tape - if you can stick two layers together all the better - for removing dust/solid particles from narrow gaps. Keep renewing the tape, so you always have a fresh 'sticky' edge in the gap.

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 30

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, well this will sound a bit ahh silly. Try pushing silly putty into the gaps where the filings rest. When you remove it the filings will come with. Don't get over zealous and pack the stuff in there. Just push in enough to fill the space and lift out slowly. The sill putty will stay together and non should be left behind if you do it correctly. This is an old trick from BOEING yes, the airplane manufacturer.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 461

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the silly putty treatment makes a lot of sense.

Ph0t0n
Tinkerer
Username: Ph0t0n

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys are awesome. Thank you all for your advice! I feel much better about this situation.

And it reminds me: Off-topic for this thread, but I've always been curious about how war photographers dealt with the mud, water, sand, mildew, etc. I've never come across an article on that particular subject. I see photos of the late Larry Burrows for example, and am amazed--he and his gear covered with mud!

CJ

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration