Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa Karat 36 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Agfa Karat 36 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 38

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I won an Agfa Karat 36 a while ago on the big auction place and it arrived last week. The one second shutter speed was about two seconds, but I went in and flushed a huge amount of black crud out of the shutter, lubed it very lightly (Hoppes gun oil) in a few places, and now the shutter speeds are back to normal. At least the one second shutter speed now seems to match my stopwatch. The 1/500 second shutter speed is a little erratic though. When set at that speed, about 1 out of every 20 times, the shutter won't trip.

The metal cleaned up nicely, as did the glass. However, there are two struts (one on the top and one on the bottom) where the chrome is just starting to blister. I'm not sure what to do about that, or even if anything can be done about it.

I also need to make up my mind about the leatherette. The old stuff is all on there. It isn't seperating, the black isn't worn through anywhere, but it has LOTS of shiny rub marks and inadvertent embossings. It just doesn't look nice, even after cleaning and polishing. Rather than giving it character, as would be the case if it was worn by handling, this covering just looks like it has been kept in a junk drawer. I have some goat leather and am more than half decided to replace it.

That is where things stand right now. Any suggestions?

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I tried a product called "Black Magic" (similar to Armorall, but dries much slower) on the leatherette. The moisture seems to have swelled up the embossed paper leatherette and it took much of the inadvertent embossing out of it.

I still can't figure out what's going on with the shutter though. Everything seems to work fine except the 1/500 second speed. It seems to work fine too, except about one out of twenty times, when the shutter doesn't trip. Any ideas?

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Come on! SOMEBODY has to have SOME idea what would cause an intermittent fault in one shutter speed.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 122

Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No specific knowledge but it sounds like it ought to be disassembled and looked at.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I took it apart, cleaned it and reassembled it. I didn't find anything obviously wrong, and I don't know what I did to fix it, but it works now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration