Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Loose front lens end on a Minolta Hi-... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Loose front lens end on a Minolta Hi-matic 7S2..to tighten? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Realityguy
Tinkerer
Username: Realityguy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!New to the forums,wish I would have found this long ago!I could have saved a bunch of cameras!
<p>My problem..I picked up a Minolta 7S2 that the front end of the lens feels loose,like it could be snugged up a bit maybe with tighening a couple screws somewhere..but where? and how to proceed(front?side? back?)?I have spanners,rubber ring removers,and other tools for working on cameras.I've seen this problem on some Electro 35s,Lynx,and other cameras also.Is this a common feel of THIS Minolta camera to have the slop(say 1/32") in and out?First time I've found one.
<p>Thanks for any info,keep up the good work!

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 226

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 04:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This topic has beed discussed over and again, but as you are new to the forum,...
... have you tried the search function yet ("lens wobble", wobbly lens", etc.)?
Do not trust those who say the wobble does not affect picture quality, as it DOES, the point is how critical one is.
The causes for lens wobble may result from general wear and/or loosening screws, mainly the retaining ring nut by which the complete lens barrel (incl. shutter, helicoil etc. is held screwed on to the camera body. In some cases (Konicas, Fujicas, Mamiyas) it is accessible from the film chamber, sometimes (old Hi-Matics) re-tightening it requires more work, and especially those vintage Minoltas have some quirks.

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 27

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Minolta Hi-Matic 7s also has a wobbly lens (a common problem) but it still takes good sharp pictures that I can enlarge to A4 so if I was you I would forget about it. It's not worth the effort of correcting the movement and you may damage the lens in the process. In my opinion, it will make little or no differance to your pictures if you shoot between f5.6 and f11. Just enjoy a well made 40 year old classic.

Regards - Alf

Realityguy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your answers..I did try to search the board with a few different combinations of words..didn't think of "lens wobble".;^).I also looked through 100+ posted topics.Is this camera's lens front supposed to have detents or stop positions on the speeds?Mine seems to be a continuous smooth turn there..seems odd..but the speeds sound close to correct at different settings.I'm wondering if a ball bearing fell out of place or something.
I generallly shoot old folder rangefinders, medium format,and large format,not so much 35mm anymore.However,I do run across a lot of these type cameras(this week found the Minolta and an Olympus 35 SPn)..so figured I'd try a couple.
<p>Thanks for the info!Keep up the good work.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 227

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Hi-Matics (7, 7s, 9) have definite click stops, if not, a part in the shutter mechanism is worn, broken or the camera has previously been apart and wrongly assembled. It is a specially shaped spring, not a ball that effects the stops!

I thought this was a tinkerers' forum, so what sense does it make to leave a camera half repaired just because it can be used for taking pictures? Who would use a car with only half the brakes working just because the engine is fine?

Realityguy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh well..it was a $10 thrift store buy..and the nice case is probably worth that much..I'll give it a whirl as is and see what it will do..I'm not too concerned about it.If I get ambitious, I'll "tinker" with it..;^)..Thanks..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration