Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri FTee/Olympus OM-1 (Disassembly)... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Petri FTee/Olympus OM-1 (Disassembly) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leopost
Tinkerer
Username: Leopost

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I've been shooting digital for the past few years and I've finally made the conservative effort to shoot film.
I ordered three cameras off of eBay -- an Olympus OM-1, Olympus Pen EES-2, and a Petri FTee, along with a few cool lenses to boot.

I found a cool article on how to fix the EES-2's stuck aperture, but haven't got a screwdriver small enough yet.
The OM-1 has a bunch of fungus-like foam around the pentaprism, annoying but something which does not affect picture quality (aside from being annoyed while shooting.)

The Petri is a GREAT camera -- somewhere in the forum I found a guy ranting and raving about one, and it was so cheap I decided I had to but it. (35 bucks, including shipping and a 1:1.8 55mm and a 1:3.5 135mm lens!) However, the meter's totally busted. I did some snooping around and got the top to the case mostly open. I noticed that the battery socket is heavily corroded, which seems to be my red flag.

So first question -- how do I remove the tops to the FTee and the OM-1?
And second, how do I go about fixing the meter of the FTee -- clean/replace the socket or another course of action?

Thanks,
Leo

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 65

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me start with the most difficult of these cameras to repair.

That would be the Petri. Like all of the early shutter preferred auto SLR's, it is a very complex camera mechanically and should not be your first experience in camera repair. I urge you to start somewhere else.

Get some other successes under your belt first and then come back here for help. Even the Petri EE lens can be a repair challenge.

If the meter is not working you have the additional challenge of troubleshooting an electronic SLR whose maker did not think to address the electronics in the factory repair manual. But it can be done.

Start with the OM-1 and the Pen.

Mike

Leopost
Tinkerer
Username: Leopost

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, Mike, how would I remove the top to the OM-1?

I have an idea of what to do AFTER the top is off, but I can't find instructions to get there.

Aaron
Tinkerer
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can refer to the OM-1 service manual through this site:
http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 462

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the short version: Unscrew the hub of the wind lever and lift it off. Lift off the wind lever and unscrew a spanner nut under it. Block the rewind shaft with a screwdriver blade and unscrew the rewind knob from it with your fingers. Remove 2 screws under the knob. Remove the flash shoe if one is mounted, and unscrew the ring around the flash shoe connector. This is the trickiest piece, be careful not to scratch the top cover. a guy called "beljanmfg" on ebay sells a nice tool for this.

Now lift off the top cover. Watch out for the return spring for the back latch, which is loose at the rewind end of the cover and will probably fall out when you lift it off.

The ASA dial comes off as part of the cover, as does the ON/OFF switch. So your only worry with those is making sure they're lined up right on reassembly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration