Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica MTL-3 wind lever Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Praktica MTL-3 wind lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Royalbox
Tinkerer
Username: Royalbox

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,
I bought a broken MTL-3 so I could practice dismantling it before attempting to repair my main one which I've had for over 25 years.

I've read some helpful posts here about this model and read this article:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/prakticanotes.html

In the article at step 3 it says: Remove the screw (counter clock-wise).
Hmmm, where is this screw please?

I've never attempted to repair a camera before, but I'd like to run a film through my old camera for old-time sake. The problem with the main camera is what appears to be a goo of some kind smeared over the bottom half of the prism, and it is generally misty all over and hard to focus. I've already changed the latch seal using the foam kit that you all probably know about already.

Thanks for any help.

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 94

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming you have removed the black disc, the tiny circlip and the shim (like the first picture in the article), the screw is the part with 2 holes in it.

If you are lucky, you may be able to unscrew it with a rubber friction tool of some kind, but if it is tight you may have to devise something to fit in the holes to give a better grip.

Royalbox
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see, thanks a lot. I'll have to give that some thought then.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 247

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a substitute for a pin wrench, get yourself a pair of draftsmans dividers. The type you want have removable points, these are made from hardened steel pins. Either reverse the points or grind down the sharp points until the pins fit snuggly into the two holes in the screw head.

You will find; that a makeshift tool such as this will remove many fasteners of this type, that are found on cameras. My pair were altered forty years ago to repair a Praktica VF!

Many other people grind down the tips on a pair of round nosed pliers, this produces a similar robust tool.

Royalbox
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot Glenn, I'll look out for some of those.

Actually, I have one of those tools for removing 'e-clips' and the like. Maybe I could grind those down a bit.

Thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration