Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex SL66 120 Film Back (jammin... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Rolleiflex SL66 120 Film Back (jamming) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 69

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,

Happy Christmas to everyone.

My Rolleiflex SL66 which has followed me around the past 28,000 miles in 3 months developed a jam in the film back.

I think it happened somewhere in Xian province - the air was dusty, perhaps not enough to cause a darkslide to jam half-way into the film back.

Having detached the back and lost half the film, it seems impossible to return the darkslide into the slot. Without the darkslide, the mirror return actuates however does not wind forth the film. I have no recollection of any bump or damage - certainly everything else works fine. This is my only other film back which has left me working in sequences of 12 shots per exposure.

I can't seem to find any repairer willing to fix this in the Far East, and wondered if anyone might have some idea as to where I should start.

The darkslide is parallel and flush.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Kind regards,

RJ

Riccardo
Tinkerer
Username: Riccardo

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have the older type of back which have a 120/220 switch; they are a sophisticated piece of mechanics.
I unjammed my with a long work which included a complete opening, I hope you don't need to go that far. Little flat springs are hidden behind the panel...

Have you tried turning the gear that protudes on the side?

A check for a more "serious" jam is if if the frame counter starts showing the numbers not aligned, but "half clicks" in the frame window.

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 70

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Riccardo,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I don't have a 120/220 switch on this back.
I've tried turning the gear, however it seems completely stuck. No amount of pressure will move it.

The frame counter doesn't reset nor move with the back in place.

It's had it?

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 71

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a follow-up post - I've fixed the jamming dark slide issue without a major dissection after finding no hits on this issue on the internet.

The darkslide entry jamming approximately half way into the 120 film back can be dealt with by adjusting the toggle switch which can be seen to move slightly, however fails to latch completely.

Loosening the two exterior screws only reduces the tension, and the darkslide still can't fully enter. It does however loosen up the compartment to dislodge particles of sand - displacing the debris inside seems to fix the jam.

As the metal toothed gear is jammed, using the winding knob to synch the metal toothed gear releases the toggle switch and re-enables the darkslide entry. A little pressure is required to do this, and then the metal gear seems to work again.

I don't know if this just a temporary fix, but it's working now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration