Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM lens sluggish aperture Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » OM lens sluggish aperture « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sdnk2001
Tinkerer
Username: Sdnk2001

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two om lens 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 both lenses' aperture sluggish to return to full open aperture. how to repair it? strong spring? or lubricate or no lubrication? I clean the contact metal still sluggish to return to open. any suggestion? Dan

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 463

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem is oil that has gotten into the diaphragm system from the focus helicals. What you need to do is disassemble the lens and clean the oil off of the blades and operating linkage. DO NOT lubricate, that is where the problem comes from in the first place. The diaphragm parts should all be dry.

Sdnk2001
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The aperture is dry no oil on them, do you think I should remove the optical system and flush wash the diaphragm? I have clean the operting linkage. it seems the fraction is high, if I only move the diaghragm, it has only little resistance and move freely. do you know how to diassembling OM 50mm lens? thanks

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 467

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All that means is that there's no oil on the blades where you can see it. It can still be there, both on the blades around the outer pivot area where you can't see it, and on the operating ring and linkage. When I've opened these (and other) lenses up, there usually is oil all over the place inside.

Front aperture access - OM 50/1.8

This sketch is hard to read at 450x450 pixels; email me for a higher resolution copy.

Sdnk2001
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought your CD around 2005, I not not sure it includs these lense, I will check it tonight

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration