Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet 28 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canonet 28 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a near mint Canonet 28 with everything working, with one exception. My pictures are all sharp in the center, but very blurred on the edges. One thing that I did after cleaning up the viewfinder and focusing image was to align the focusing images with the camera set on infinity. I don't see how this would mess up the focusing, but I may be wrong. Since the camera has no "B" setting, there's no way to tell if the camera is in focus on infinity. Any suggestions on how to check the focus, or should I reset the focusing images at a shorter distance, like 5 feet. It has a 40MM lens. Would appreciate any help in the matter.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 123

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Without making any adjustments take a picture of a subject and background, all at infinity, using the scale on the lensbarrel, not the rangefinder. If everything is sharp the rangefinder needs adjusting. If the center is sharp and the rest blurred it sounds like a lens problem. Use transparency film or judge the results by looking at the negative, not the print, to rule out any processing problem. Good luck.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Charlie.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 469

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sharp in the center and blurred around the edges doesn't sound right, especially for a Canon lens. Is there any sign that the lens may have been disassembled? Getting an element in backwards might cause this behavior, though it would be pretty lucky in that case to have the center come out matching the focusing scale.

This is going to be tough to sort out without being able to open the shutter and observe the image at the film plane.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made an adjustment to the rangefinder images set at a measured distance of 5 feet, and the shots taken yesterday appear to be a little better than before, so I'm wondering if I'm on the right track.

Several have suggested that a lens element may have been replaced backwards; my question is, should I remove the front or rear element, and how can I tell which side of the lens should be facing the film plane?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration