Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FG - LED Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Nikon FG - LED « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Suz
Tinkerer
Username: Suz

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 03:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem:

I got a Nikon FG. Recently I noticed that when I open/close the back door to load the film, the shutter speed LED gets stuck at 125 and 90. Even if I change light conditions, the LED won't indicate the current shutter speed. But if I taken 2 or 3 shots in M90 and put it back to A or P mode, it works! Now it shows the actual shutter speed. Do you know the reason why the LED is stuck at 125 and 90 when I open/close the rear door?

Now I gave it for repair and the guy said there was some dry soldering etc. He claimed to have repaired it. Now this is how it works.

When I open the door to load the film, LED is still stuck at 125 and 90, but the moment I reach counter 1 of film, it automatically works. It now shows the actual shutter speed. Now my problem is I will have to waste 3 clicks on each film rool, till I reach counter 1 to get my shutter speed LED work. Is it normal? The guy who repaired said, it is normal. But I remember it used to work well from "S", even if I open/close the rear door to load film. Is there still a problem with my camera? Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

Reborn7
Tinkerer
Username: Reborn7

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all there is a basic rule for all cameras : always start taking pictures when the counter shows 1.
Secondly always put the camera in manual mode when loading film and put the lenscap on.
Nikon EM, FG and probably FA also activate the metering circuit when the counter reaches number 1.

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the film counter is between S and 1, and the camera is in an auto mode, the shutter speed is fixed at 1/90, this is perfectly normal and is mentioned in the camera's user manual.

http://www.lensinc.net/manuals/Nikon_FGL.pdf

Suz
Tinkerer
Username: Suz

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Reborn and Sillyconguru for your help. Thanks for confirming that it's normal.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration